Best replacement Carb for 79 620

Jetscat7

I need to replace the stock carb.  I have tried to have it rebuilt and changed out the throttle pump.  It still has a flat spot and dies between  idle and secondary.  It seems like the primary is not hardly working.  What is the best replacement?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No. Original mechanical pump will work. You need the proper adapter to mount the carb.

Be sure that you get a European manufactured carb. Both of mine have 'Made in Spain' cast into the carb body.

Redline or Pierce Manifolds are good sources.

There are Oriental knock-offs out there.

$300 Weber conversion kit.... or just clean the primary jet..... hmmmmm give me a minute to think. Best carb for a '79 is a '79 stock carburetor. A Weber is not going to pass the next emissions test so the choice is clear.

On 3/9/2020 at 2:12 PM, difrangia said:

Above my pay grade, Mike. 32/36's flunk in Canuk or CA  ??

OP is from Long Beach California. Pretty sure it will have to pass a smog test being a '79. Has to have all original smog equipment on the truck to pass and that definitely means the '79 carburetor. Cheaper to fix the problem than trade for another.

3 hours ago, datzenmike said:

OP is from Long Beach California.

Yup. I recall the 49-State car era.

I have a friend who was a lifelong CA resident who relocated from Bakersfield area to north-central Arkansas about six months ago. He'd been bitching, agonizing ,and planning the move for several years. Finally bit the bullet. Still has half a dozen aircraft hangers to sell off out there (also aircraft mechanic and businessman).

He likes guns and old machinery. He's a much happier camper in the Heartland.

Jets don't wear out, can't wear out. No moving parts and only gas runs through them. They can get dirt in them.

On 3/9/2020 at 12:02 PM, datzenmike said:

$300 Weber conversion kit.... or just clean the primary jet..... hmmmmm give me a minute to think. Best carb for a '79 is a '79 stock carburetor. A Weber is not going to pass the next emissions test so the choice is clear.

My '78 FSM (factory service manual) uses the same engine and carburetor lists a 101 primary and a 158 secondary jet for California engines.

• Like 1