Greetings All...New Member Here

71DIMER

my CRX HF handles most of those duties and while getting 50mpg, no way my Datsuns pulling that off

Datsun can handle 50 mpg:

4951.jpg

...if your duties involve mostly driving on the highway...

The Civic HF was the best-ever fuel economy champ sold in USA at 58 highway. Why can't we get such economy now, except with hybrids? It seems americans just don't count fuel economy as the most important factor. It's like "sure I'll take 58 mpg, as long as I get power windows with that, otherwise gimme that 34 mpg econobox".

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My new '76 B210 always gave MPGs in the thirties and I was quite surprised to get well up into the forties on a trip across Canada in '79. I had to drive the supreme piss out of it on just one occasion and actually got it to go below 30.

When Hummers weigh 1,850 Lbs and have an A12 in them you might get 38 MPG.

ggzilla:

I'm not too sure that 58mpg is accurate. I've noticed that at EPA.gov they show two different EPA estimates for the CRX HF which if you know CRX's that what they were really called...Civic CRX HF, just that everyone refered to them as CRX HF and dropped the Civic all together.

Anyway they're listed as 58MPG highway then in the same site, different line they're listed as what they were on the Honda window sticker 51mpg highway, 49 city...now I travel over 300 miles one way for work periodically so I keep gas logs and sure enough it's pulling a sweet 50mpg. I try to keep it straight for MPGs so I made sure it's well tuned up and check my sweet 13" light weight alloys well inflated whenever I travel long distances. City wise it gets me 40-43mpg...not bad especially when you realize Toyota's ugly little Yaris line of cars are being marketed as great gas savers and they are EPA rated for 41mpg highway...granted most of these newer cars are probably more safe then my tiny CRX...but again there's no way either of my Datsuns will get me 50mpg and give me the cargo capacity my CRX does...I've transported a few dishwashers in the back of there with no problem. I still love my Datsuns for their uniqueness but again for a fuel injected reliability factor I'm really digging my CRX! :)

I think one problem is the car consumer expects more horsepower with every year and every model change. If the engines had less top end power and focused only on torque in a 4-cyl then you just up the gearing and you could have a much more ecinomical all-gas car.