Stock L16 smoking from valve cover.

comply

My car died yesterday. It started making a ticking/clanking noise then lost power. When I opened the hood there was quite a bit of smoke coming from the valve cover and out of the breather filter on it. I had checked the oil the previous night and topped it off and also checked it when this incident occurred. My temp was running high-ish but always does. My dad seems to think it's a valve problem. I have no idea.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

make sure a lash pad didnt fall out of the retainer under a rocker arm.

smoke out the top of valve cover?

Blowby,hole in piston or burnt valve

ck the PVC valve also make sure it not stuck(guessing on this one)

over filled the crank case with oil

I appreciate the help Hainz, but I have no idea what any of that means lol

lash pad? and where's the pvc valve? I'm going to have to tear my engine down to figure this stuff out, huh?

Not necessarily. Over filling with oil would cause the smoke. Check your dip stick is seating all the way down before taking a reading.

If it looks OK Set at TDC, take the valve cover off and check valve clearance In and Ex on #1, In #2, Ex #3 Turn motor 360 degrees and check Ex #2, In #3, and In and Ex #4.

If it checks out OK do a compression check on each cylinder with all plugs out and record your findings.

Not necessarily. Over filling with oil would cause the smoke. Check your dip stick is seating all the way down before taking a reading.

If it looks OK Set at TDC, take the valve cover off and check valve clearance In and Ex on #1, In #2, Ex #3 Turn motor 360 degrees and check Ex #2, In #3, and In and Ex #4.

If it checks out OK do a compression check on each cylinder with all plugs out and record your findings.

Doh. I'll have to bring it into a shop to check all of that stuff.

You kidding ME????????????

take valve cover off and look to see if everything is oK.Look under the rocker arm. I think i sent you vid to you. watch it

I don't know what 'ok' looks like as I've never been able to watch someone tear it down and ask questions about it and such. I'll watch the video again though. :)

Doh. I'll have to bring it into a shop to check all of that stuff.

It is simple...

you need a 10mm socket, 5-6" extension, and a 3/8 ratchet. Pull the 6 valve cover bolts out, 2 on the front and 2 on each side. Carefully wiggle the valve cover to break it loose then it comes right off.

Then to check valve clearance, get a .012 and .010 feeler guage (I think that's right), then turn the motor to TDC (top dead center) you will have your timing mark on the pully and the front cover, and make sure the # 1 cylinder cam lobes are pointing at 10 & 2. You just stick the feeler guage under the cam lobe to check for clearance when it is pointing strait up. you will use the .012 for the exhaust and .010 for the intake. You can tell which is intake and exhaust by looking at where your intake and exhaust manufolds are on the head for each cylinder.

This whole process takes about 20 minutes tops. Save yourself some $$ and check it yourself. Take pics and let us one how it works out.

:D

Buy a socket set with life time guarantee, about $100. Congrats, that's just over what a mechanic will ream you for in a shop for an hour or so of 'work'. The next time you use them they have already have paid for themselves. Borrow or rent a compression tester, next time X-Mass rolls around ask Santa for one. And a set of feeler gauges. Ask for tools for birthdays, everyone will be glad to get you something you want and really need instead of a vid game. Get Factory Service Manual from Nissan or a Haynes or Chilton's manual for your year of car and leave in the bathroom so you can read it instead of... whatever.

Alright, so I went to pick it up and checked my oil when I got there. It's got too much oil in it(oops). So I'm going to drain some out tomorrow since it's too dark to do anything tonight, and I'll see if Auto Zone will let me use a compression tester. The rest of the tools I'm pretty sure I have somewhere.

Thanks for all the help guys :) I'll let you know how it all goes. And thanks for the in-depth explanation Phlebmaster, that's just what I needed. I can now visualize what to do annnnd will do that tomorrow after I drain the oil.

i think your right, my gf has like IUD or something. THey shove a plastic T looking thing up her junk :lol:

I wouldn't be poking around in there if it's an IED.

The first IUD was a date pit used on female camels when traveling long distances across the desert.

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't know anything about the PCV system. I remeber the blow by tubes and all the smoke coming out of them.

I replaced mine in my Datsun B210 as part of the process of trying to establish a better engine idle. I better go back and replace hoses, the hoses are the originals that came with the car :eek:.