igotatruck

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

No.

The  large front two bearings do support the fronts of the main and counter shafts, and there are smaller bearings at the back that do the same. In the middle are the adapter plate bearings and they don't look good at all.

Okay, as far as I can tell this is the cause, this seemed like significant slop to me and in some positions the shafts will bind slightly. Gonna start pulling it apart.

• Like 1

Ive been watching this guy pulling it apart, and it looks like the only time he needs any kind of puller is this first bearing behind the speedo worm gear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEeNxPwAJi0&t=275s

Can I get away with using just this cheap puller?

https://www.harborfreight.com/gear-puller-set-15-pc-62958.html?_br_psugg_q=gear+puller

Also it looks like everything else just gets hammered or set into place, but how does he get that bearing back on?

Edited by igotatruck
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I can't remember if there is a ball retainer in the shaft there. Is there a thrust washer behind the hub? If so, there may be a ball.

To get the shafts out, I use a dead blow hammer and knock both shafts forward through the mid plate. You have to go a little on each shaft, alternating between shafts, so they both come out of the mid plate at the same time.

I do know that just on the other side of the mid plate is a thrust washer with a ball retainer in the shaft.

Check all of your thrust washers for wear. If any wear is present, you may want to replace them, depending on how bad the wear is. Sometimes, if the wear is minimal, you can simply flip the thrust washer around at reassembly time.

• Like 2

Ok got it, nearst I can guess is this "overdrive gear bushing" got real seized up. Managed to just push it off past the threads by hitting the end of the shaft. The inner bearing pressed against the gear hub but let the shaft slide through so eventually the bushing slipped past the threads for the main shaft lock nut. also used the heat gun.

faVWDDf.jpg

Thanks for all the help!

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

This thing has been a bitch and half but I think I got it correctly reassembled.

NGBvDCu.jpg

Shifting feels good, though I am sure it will feel better once its full of fluid.

Thanks again for everyone who chimed in, Ill let you know how it works once I get it installed.

'

Anythings I should check for now while I can still pull it apart?

Edited by igotatruck
  • Like 2

Got it all bolted back in place, I am a little confused about one of the bolts that holds the rear extension/ bell housing onto the engine. The is one that is extra long and has a big washer on the head, a hex washer bolt. Not sure where that one goes. The other three bolts seemed the correct length for their holes. The only remaining hole is the top one on the passenger side, I think, but the extra length seems to make it bottom out.

Other than that I just need to fill it up and then reconnect the starter etc.

Probably was lost and replaced. Two go into the block at the base of the head and one on either side at crank level. There will also be a hollow dowel that the left side bolt goes through and this fits into the block and transmission to align them.

038.jpg

Picture is for explanation purposes only.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...