Project Dajiban

6 hours ago, dimlight65 said:

Well... that does bring up an interesting point.  The short answer is: I don't know.  The long answer is : IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII doooooooooooooooooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn't knooooooooooooooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.  But if I were to assume I've already killed resale, I might as well gopher the full-manual, reverse-pattern valve body, right?  In for a penny, in for a pound.  Thanks for enabling me Duncan!

I'm good at spending/wasting someone else's money!  I only ask because out here in the Californee Communist Collective, the seller is responsible for smog compliance, and removing emission equipment is not a good thing to do if the vehicle is '76 or newer.

I know other States require safety inspections periodically, or when a vehicle changes hands.  Surprisingly, we don't have safety inspections here, but if we did, I'm pretty sure the airbag thing would be a problem.  I was just asking about the legalities of it. (If there are any)

Screw resale value. Build it how you like it is my position.

Also, I was sitting at a traffic light today, and some dude pulls up next to me in a 1989 Doge Van that had a For Sale sign on it for $900.  I immediately thought of you guys :)

Edited by Duncan
  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

16 hours ago, dimlight65 said:

Well... that does bring up an interesting point.  The short answer is: I don't know.  The long answer is : IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII doooooooooooooooooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn't knooooooooooooooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.  But if I were to assume I've already killed resale, I might as well gopher the full-manual, reverse-pattern valve body, right?  In for a penny, in for a pound.  Thanks for enabling me Duncan!

I didn't know an old Dodge van had resale value! 🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 1
8 hours ago, goes2fast said:

I didn't know an old Dodge van had resale value! 🤣🤣🤣

I really want to get butt-hurt and defensive about that... but I pretty much don't have a leg to stand on.  Therefore, I shall fall back on my old standby of, "Aw, go grease wheezer!"

• Haha 2
On 7/25/2019 at 9:17 PM, Duncan said:

Does Texas have a safety inspection requirement?  Just wondering if you might run afoul of any government entities when selling the Dajiban with the airbag removed.  

In Texas you will not get in trouble UNLESS you do not disclose any know safety/emissions issues at the time of sale. 

So I went to have another talk with the witch doctor today.  I told him that I could get a low-mileage, used tranny for around $900 but I wanted to know what he would charge to install a manual valve body while rebuilding mine.  He said, "Ooo eee.  Ooo ah ah.  Ting tang.  Walla walla bing bang."  Y'know... because he's a witch doctor...  ok, sorry.  I'll be serious now.  He said if I brought him a valve body, he'd install it and the rebuild would be about a wash, price wise, with the used transmission.  So, off to the intergoogles I went, in search of a reverse-pattern, full-manual valve body.  The TCI unit I liked was on backorder at Summit, but Amazon had one in stock for the same price.  I should have it Friday.

Edited by dimlight65
punctuation/grammar
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • 2 weeks later...

The van passed the safety inspection today.  So now I can go to the DMV Monday and pick up my "DAJIBAN" license plates.  Oh yes, I went there.  I did that.  I bought the plates.

And we messed with the shifter pedestal thingy a bit as well.  

• Like 3
14 hours ago, dimlight65 said:

The van passed the safety inspection today.  So now I can go to the DMV Monday and pick up my "DAJIBAN" license plates.  Oh yes, I went there.  I did that.  I bought the plates.

And we messed with the shifter pedestal thingy a bit as well.  

I love it, too bad most people will have no clue what it means. 🤣

6 hours ago, goes2fast said:

I love it, too bad most people will have no clue what it means. 🤣

I'm quite used to having to 'splain my license plates.  My Smart Car's plates say "AGENT 86" and I have to learn people about that all the time.

• Haha 2
On 8/12/2019 at 11:12 AM, datsunfreak said:

Shifter pedestal tweaked and test fitting thereof...

large.1027706404_VAN(1).jpg.46953f5a990c

Just curious if that shifter could mount on the floor and possibly make a custom shift handle?  I imagine with a 2-3 ft extension, the throw would be very long, though... 

Edited by Duncan

We looked at floor mounting with a long shaft... (IF yaknowhatImean!) but decided that the tower of power was the way to go.  I don't remember if we actually had a good reason or if it was a "that's the way the Daijibans in Japan are doing it" situation.

Edited by dimlight65
punctuation/grammar
  • Like 2

So I was off work today, and rather than go visit my mother in the hospital, I took the Dajiban to have the zorst replaced.  Yeah, yeah.  I'm resigned to the whole "Going to Hell" thing.  Anyhoo, the drive to the zorst shop was mostly fine, the tranny shifts through the gears well when cold so I only had a few blocks of 2nd gear running and that was on slow surface streets.  Going back to the shop was not so good.  If it did cool down enough while the zorst was being built, it wasn't enough to get me back onto the freeway.  I felt like Dick Trickle (the only NASCAR driver name I know and only because it is so damned funny) blaring down the freeway in 2nd gear.  Oh, the zorst sounds awesome, by the way!   I kept a close eye on the temp, what with it being hot as balls here, but it didn't creep too high.  Eventually, I needed to shoost across two lanes where two highways merged and romped on it.  Yeah, pussyfooting it was not the solution, apparently.  When giving it the beans, it upshifted into 3rd, and then OD, just like normal.  I was tempted to go ahead and take it to the hospital to visit mom but parked at the shop instead... and went to see mom in Maxwell.  

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

New zorst...

large.20190902_091452.jpg.dede38a217ee4a

We decided to fit up the cold air intake. Here's where it ends...

large.20190902_125258.jpg.836e0aa785583c

And where it begins...

large.20190902_124846.jpg.0ce6ba32d7a02c

Stock breather was fed by a hole in the top of the radiator support. So we made that hole a LOT bigger and fit the 4" metal pipe through it. Hose on one end, filter on the other.  

I decided while the grill was off to paint all that stuff behind the grill black (as you can see there), then that snowballed into masking off and painting the grill as well...

large.20190902_125237.jpg.1f3f5bc95f210b

After that, we had a look at how we were going to affix the shifter tower to the doghouse, then decided drastic measures were called for...

large.20190902_133632.jpg.a797d790876c9e

It now weighs about 20% of what it did before and will stay stuck to the doghouse should we need to remove it (what Tim was concerned about all along with the old design). 

We took that off for a bit of paint, and we will be making a beefy backing plate for the other side of the doghouse so we don't crack it by shifting too aggressively.   😄

• Like 2
2 hours ago, datsunfreak said:

A) Here's where it ends...

B) I decided while the grill was off to paint all that stuff behind the grill black (as you can see there), then that snowballed into masking off and painting the grill as well...

C) ...will stay stuck to the doghouse should we need to remove it (what Tim was concerned about all along with the old design). 

D) ...we will be making a beefy backing plate for the other side of the doghouse so we don't crack it by shifting too aggressively.   😄

A) We are going to re-route that breather hose in a much more appealing manner, I promise.  That was a temporary fix because... um, rubber tires?

B) And I'm afeared I was acting a bit of a douche-nozzle and didn't show my elation at the time, but it looks friggin' awesome!  Thank you sir!

C) Um... Now that I'm answering this quote, I don't remember why I quoted it.

D) Oh right!  THIS was the other thing I was concerned about and why I designed the old design in the first place.  After grokking the house of dogs some more, I think we will be ok with this, John's original idea.

• Like 1
57 minutes ago, dimlight65 said:

And I kinda want to knock another, smaller, speed-hole under the giant one on the side.  For "Feng Shui" as much as added lightness.

I think there is room for 2 more progressively smaller holes. 😀

• Haha 1

In doing the "research" on how to wire the overdrive switch, I learned that I am, technically, converting the thing into a SIX speed tranny!  I'll have 1st gear, 1st+OD, 2nd gear, 2nd+OD, 3rd gear, and 3rd+OD for a total of six forward speeds. 

Is this a viable way to drive the thing?  No, no it is not. 

Is that going to stop me from referring to it as a six speed?  Again, it is not.

• Like 1