BOOSTED A14 QUESTIONS...

zacc

so recently i came into possession of an 81’ 210,  and it’s not just any old 65 horse shitbox... it’s got a damn humvee turbo on it. and the way it’s hooked up is probably the most ghetto way i’ve seen anything done, and i highly doubt that if it IS amazing any boost, it’s getting to the engine due to many places i’ve seen for it to leak out. my questions are; where can i get myself a blow thru carb for the A14 that’s in it, and if i can’t get one that comes manufactured for it, what else can i do? also, with converting/replacing a carb to blow thru, don’t you have to amp up the fuel delivery system as well? maybe run an electric pump or something...? what all would be recommended if i did just convert my carburetor myself, and where can i get the shit to do it? carbuerated things terrify me and so i was literally gonna just find a carb hat and fix some welds, fix some plumbing and see what happens but i hear that if you don’t replace the floats and delete the choke and some other components, you’ll pretty much rape half the internal parts in the carb. not trying to buy forged internals before i actually get to make any boost or figure out HOW to, because by the time i got it all rebuilt i would probably lose motivation.

1-D6-EC456-DC57-40-AD-9360-BF9-B3-E2-CBA

44653265-06-B5-4949-A8-AD-6-B7-B3-C044-C

47073-E95-CD8-B-416-E-8854-F4-A78-F51-C2

4-DBDEF20-6-A47-48-A9-BB81-4-A4-ACE290-A

5-FD9-C4-B1-5-C35-4-E66-A4-C7-6-DC188-F4

B2-EB27-F6-F69-C-4309-84-C9-C9-B23049806

navigate to nearest gas

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well you could use your carb in a pinch. Go to a dolla store and buy a pressure cooker. Bolt the carburetor  in the bottom and have an inlet opening welded on for the air from the turbo. You'll need to figure out the throttle pull and the a pump and a regulator that puts out pressure 3 PSI above what ever the boost is. I forget the name of this device. Being inside a pressurized container will prevent gas over filling the carb and being pushed out of the float chamber that's under boost. You'll still need a BOV and an O2 sensor for reading fuel ratio to prevent damage.

Humvee is a diesel isn't it? I think those seals are wrong as there is no intake vacuum on a diesel engine. When used on a gas engine when the throttle is slammed shut the intake vacuum goes through the roof and will suck oil through them.  It'll still work though you may notice higher oil consumption and a blue cloud slowing down.

47073-E95-CD8-B-416-E-8854-F4-A78-F51-C2Holy fuck!!!

1 hour ago, datzenmike said:

Well you could use your carb in a pinch. Go to a dolla store and buy a pressure cooker. Bolt the carburetor  in the bottom and have an inlet opening welded on for the air from the turbo. You'll need to figure out the throttle pull and the a pump and a regulator that puts out pressure 3 PSI above what ever the boost is. I forget the name of this device. Being inside a pressurized container will prevent gas over filling the carb and being pushed out of the float chamber that's under boost. You'll still need a BOV and an O2 sensor for reading fuel ratio to prevent damage.

Humvee is a diesel isn't it? I think those seals are wrong as there is no intake vacuum on a diesel engine. When used on a gas engine when the throttle is slammed shut the intake vacuum goes through the roof and will suck oil through them.  It'll still work though you may notice higher oil consumption and a blue cloud slowing down.

47073-E95-CD8-B-416-E-8854-F4-A78-F51-C2Holy fuck!!!

haha humvees are diesel yeah, and i had that thought/experienced that a few times and said fuck it, i’ll just keep an eye on my oil. also explained why my boost gauge didn’t work. that and it doesn’t have power going to it, but yanno. idk, i think i’m gonna go to autozone and buy a bunch of cheap spectre plumbing and fuckin send it somehow. sounds more complicated than this engine is worth for all that work lmfao

I have serious doubts that it will ever work as a blow thru that way, if you really want to have a turbocharged A14 your likely going to have to start over.

Basically a carb made for a turbo is an EFI setup, they made them for the A series in Japan, but they are very rare.

How many CC engine is that turbo made for as it looks large to me, too large but I am making that comment from viewing a fuzzy photo.

If your really set on having a turbocharged A series engine your likely going to have to make it into a draw thru and I would suggest using a larger SU as the carb jetted properly, as to use your carb it would have to be in the same upright position it is on the engine to work properly, an SU would be easy to mount, but as a draw thru you will need to buy a turbo with the seals made for a draw thru so it didn't suck oil into the intake, the way it is in the photo it doesn't appear to be set up to have that issue. you can use your carb as a draw thru, but your going to have to make a mount for it in front of the turbo.

My experience is with Nissan diesel engines, I have turbocharged them both draw thru and blow thru, draw thru needs a turbo made for draw thru.

If you want to drive this and it runs fine the way it is, then just drive it and show it off as something you bought already made and laugh it up, otherwise remove all that turbo stuff and drive it.

I would start looking for an EFI intake manifold for an A series engine if you really want to turbocharge your engine.

That's the most ridiculous setup I've ever seen on any car. I wouldn't waste your time trying to turbo a carbureted setup or building something for your car out of cooking supplies. Do it right and do it once, but you'll spend just as much as an engine swap would cost, so keep your goals in mind and do lots of research before commitment.

• Like 1

I understand the sense of badass accomplishment in turboing an A series, but what you have is not how it's done. Mike's pressure cooker solution has merat, but throwing time and money at the setup you have is just putting lipstick on a pig. 

I've seen guys use an injector plate spacer between the carb and intake mani then use the carb as strictly a throttle body with all the ventures plugged. You still need a way to control the appropriate air fuel mixture and managing induction charge though, ie boost control, blow off, throttle position, RPM, mass air flow, and exhaust 02. There are kits out there, but would need serious modification for an A. That's when you consider a VW Jetta RWD 1.8L turbo.