Charlie 69's 1967 520 Parts Truck

Charlie69

A long time ago I purchased a really rough 1967 Datsun 520 truck for parts.  I have used a few parts off of this truck and sold a few parts to a person that 67 520 was hit buy a drunk driver.  Any way I purchased a 1990 D21 regular cab KA 5 speed truck and if time allows on Monday Shawn and I will pull the cab and the bed off the 90 D21 and pull the cab and bed off the 67 520 and set the 67 520 bed and cab on the 90 D21 chassis.  This is to see how much work it will be to set up the 90 D21 chassis for the 67 520 cab and bed.  I will take some pictures as this happens.

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This has been done with a 521 cab/box, it's likely going to be a huge project with the D21 drive train as there is not much room in the 520 engine compartment.

I suppose you could extend the inner fenders, outer fenders and hood to make more room in the 520 engine compartment or put the radiator in the rear bed.

• Like 1

That is the plan Wayno is to use a 521 front cab section and then stretch the 520 fenders and hood to match the length of the 521 inner fenders.

This will be a project in the distant future.  First is to finish my 520 then do the 85 720 ST King Cab with the VG30 and the automatic that I already have. so I can drive it and sell my 86 daily driver to help finance my 84 720 ST King Cab Build with the 90 KA and the five speed.

I am curious as to how the 520/521 cabs and beds fit on a Hardbody chassis.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
On 3/14/2019 at 10:24 PM, LOW 520 said:

Was the “Drunk Driver” 520 in Arizona? 

No the 520 that was hit by a drunk driver was hit was hit in Cal.  The owner also lived in Cal and he reached out to me through Ratsun for parts.  I sold him a fender and a door both for the drivers side.  We agreed that I would bring the fender and the door to our SWDP Barbecue last August in Fontana CA.  He showed up and purchase the door the fender and the sway bar.  Later he contacted me for the front strut rod and the drives side lower control ar which I pulled He paid me through PayPal and I prority mailed him the parts.

• Thanks 1
  • 4 weeks later...

I wouldn't trade my d521 for the world,  in a nutshell the frames curved up and down differently for the bed and core support mounts. Core support was close enough bolted in, 3 inch body drop got mid cab mounts close enough. Had to move rear cab perches. I had to clearance my firewall a lot for EGR, then deleted but glad that I did the clearance when it came time to change transmissions. Axle had to be moved forward I don't know how many inches. I did a four link which made me raise my bed floor almost to flatbed. I just picked up a 72 521 to put on my 4x4 D21 next

Edited by dat nasty
  • Like 2

The 720 chassis fit much easier than the hardbody chassis from wtching your build.  I put my 520 on a 1980 720 2wd chassis.

Another option I have is to put the 90 d21 KA 5 speed in the 521.  Then of course the Blue Hands Inc front disk brake kit to be sure I can stop it.

I am looking at the possibility of sectioning the front section of the 90 d21 frame on to the 85 720 king cab frame I have that is bent from some yahoo jumping aroyos in the northern Arizona desert.  Need to take some measurements to see if this is even possible.

• Like 1

If you haven't already snagged the BlueHands disc convert, you'd best be making that happen.

I believe that Mike recently posted ceasing his fabricating efforts.

Just a heads-up.

• Like 1

Yes difrangia thank you for the heads up.  I have secured the last set of BlueHands disc brake conversion kit.  Those aluminum kits are just to pretty not to own one.  BlueHands will be missed but if this helps Mike in the future then it is all good!

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Charlie69 said:

Yes difrangia thank you for the heads up.  I have secured the last set of BlueHands disc brake conversion kit.  Those aluminum kits are just to pretty not to own one.  BlueHands will be missed but if this helps Mike in the future then it is all good!

Salute !!

• Like 1