Engine choices 4cly only.

Ultramagnus

Ok well i came from the DOHC world and havin a SOHC is becoming an anemic situation on the freeways. i miss top my old top end speed, i'm not a drag racer so i can care less about torque i like to whoop ass at 6k and up:D. i need a motor with light rev happy internals from the nissan camp that's not chain driven:rolleyes: it seems to me that all nissan engines have chains and i never understtod this. :confused: i don't want to go SR ever:eek: it's too played out and doesn't look impressive when you see it. a CA18det is more my style of looks cause it reminds me of my 4ag. with the valley and sparkplug setup. :D besides the FJ what is there to compete with a 3sge/te 2.0 liter form the nissan camp?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i do a datsun double rollor over any rubber band anyday. they dont skip and the chain lasts to 10,000 rpm!!! you can even get fancy tensioners now from msa for lots of money, but they dont cause a wear point. uses manual adjustment and double chain rollers instead of guides. check this!!!

http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PROD/PRC16/10-5470

Chains are rolling mass of weight while the so called rubber bands are light and u can show them off:D heck even if you snap one the engines are non interfering so the valves don't smack the crap out of the pistons. i guess my toyota roots are calling me back cause i've never been impressed by nissan engines except the FJ,CA18det and the RB's. i still have a 3sgte motor from an mr2 sitting in my garage. i'm gonna toy around with the idea while my car get's the body and paint done. i guess i just wanted the dimes exterior and put a toyota motor in it. SO i've said it now throw the 1st boulder....LOL

SO i've said it now throw the 1st boulder....LOL

Toyota roots?

How about one of the greatest motors ever built.

The Toyota 22R

I figure they went with a Rubber band cause its cheaper and less noisey.

as for interferance fit I thought the later Toyota 3.0 V6s was dangerous if belt broke?

Personally its a useless argument. The motor hauls ass or it doesnt, chain or not.

as for interferance fit I thought the later Toyota 3.0 V6s was dangerous if belt broke?

thats the 3.slow :lol: also had HG issues

the 3.4 is non interference.

22re has a chain. i got ~305K (abused) miles outta mine :D

is the weight differance that significant?

cant show off the belt :rollseyes: at 120mph :blink:

all point are valid and taken into account. i'm not doggin any suggestions, haha so true about the 120mph show off:lol: at this point i'm just seeing all my options and what i can play with and i know there's alot of it. i keep an open mind and want to learn so if i step on peoples feet that's a learning process forgiveness please:p

yeah i had an 85 celica gt-s w/22r w/ webbers and that motor moved LC engineering provided me with some nice parts for it.

I guess it all depends on money and skill. I personally like torque and HP and yes I have been a honda fan and Nissan as well as chevy so I have a good

feel of what is out there. I always wanted a S200o motor as I like Honda's motors and good mix of power and reliability. another motor I like is the SR20 but not too much into the turbo as I had turbo motors and they are one more variable to mess with. I really like the NA stuff. maybe I am gettin old

another thing you have to remember is a lot of the newer honda motors are chain and not belt driven now. belts can and do stetch at high rpm's and you can do some damage to a motor. chains don't stretch so easy. a motor that is rev happy does not matter if it is chain or belt. more so in design and what the head and cams and valvetrain can flow. I have built some honda motors that rev to 9000 rpm but you have to watch the belts as they do stretch.

good luck on deciding on a motor though and have fun as I guess that is essentially what it is all about.

Edited by benzo

... stretch like rubber bands lol..

i've done a couple belt motors now.. a couple ford 2.3's and a toyota 5mge i think its called.. that behemoth dohc motor in old supras...

i'll just say i was wayyy happyer with the belts on the ol pinto motors than the toy motor.. which didnt break the belt but STRIPPED THE TEETH off it :(

i like chain though... virtually indestructable.

and those chain tensioners are badass!!! only if they wernt 600 bucks!!

well for now i'll stay with the napz, i've talked to some gear head buddies of mine and we've tossed some ideas in the bonfire. i just got a lot of turbo suggestions when it came to nissan engines and the SR came out 80% of the time.:rolleyes: the only thing that stuck out was teh RB20 idea:blink:but that's gonna be turbo as well.:lol:

Edited by Ultramagnus

CA18DE. DOHC, rubber band powered, and 7,500 rpm redline. Foreign parts allow you to turbo that engine with Nissan equipment if you want.

You can pick up the FWD engine from certain models of Pulsars and the RWD 5-speed from a 200SX. (CA20e)

Icehouse put that NA engine into a 510 a few years back. he pulled it later for an SR20DET ;)

need to b changed like 90 K or more. chains hardly go out.

my toyota has 165K on the original belt, im lazy (or stupid) but since its non-intereference and i have the parts in the back, im goin for broke!

never had a chain fail.

wore out & broke the guides when the tensioner fell out(disintegrated?), but still went ~30K mi :eek: