New owner/engine confusion

Aswisscheese

Hey there everyone! I just picked up my first datsun and it's a 521. I got it from a friend who has owned it for the last 30 years. He never did much with it except drive it. It seems to be a solid little truck that needs some "brighting" as I call it to be a great truck. Where my confusion comes in is the truck says it has a L16, the tag on the block says L16 but there are some inconsistencies. For one the serial number on the block is different the the engine bay tag. And again my friend never changed the motor. One of the major indicators is that the oil dipstick is on the drivers side next to the exhaust manifold. So I'm looking for some insight on what is actually going on here. Thanks for any help!

20180928_195307.jpgimg upload

20181003_170802.jpg

20181003_170953.jpg

20181003_171035.jpg

20181003_171017.jpg

20181003_171007.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice looking truck.... I say it was swapped before your friend bought it... numbers dont lie.... he probably just never cared or needed to notice...

I thought i read once that the dipstick on that side ment it came from a right hand drive vehicle, but I cant say that for sure.... 

Not sure what else you really need to know.. 

• Like 1