Bugeye's 72 PL-521

Bugeye

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

red & black look good tegether. I like to use flat black for frames /suspension parts. Or you could do this...............

919lowered2.jpg

Slap on a moon cap to cover the pumpkin :cool: I used 2 springs wrapped around the axle to hold it on.

Hey PCD, What is that chrome thing behind the axle? looks like it conects to the leafs?

well, since I had a run in with the oak tree with the 620, her l20 and 5 speed are gonna find there way into the 521, now I just have to drag it from around back and start tearing into her

i am officaly dubbing this truck Project Rat521 just because I am only going to paint the engine bay and engine, I am going to slap it together and drive it

I woke up early today to get a good start at stripping the 620

DSCF0048.jpg

DSCF0049.jpg

Also got the 521 moved from beside the garage to in front of it, removed the doors and mounting bolts, tomorrow its the fenders, dash steering column, cab and engine

DSCF0050.jpg

Got the L20 out of the 620, she needs a good cleaning and some new gaskets and paint, also I am going to remove all the smog crap and throw my A87 head on it.

DSCF0051.jpg

I knew it was using water and oil, but I thought it was because of the timing chain cover and the radiator leaking. Turns out the head gasket went at the back of the motor

DSCF0052.jpg

She looks sad without her heart, but its going on to a better place.

DSCF0054.jpg

All and all it has been a busy day for me, it is now time to relax and rest and start it all again tomorrow:cool:

I was up with the sun this morning out working on the 521, got the dash out (gotta love the fact only 6 bolts hold it in)

DSCF0055.jpg

Here is her old heart, a locked up L16 and a funny looking 4 speed and the cab removed of course, we flipped it off of the frame and onto its roof to drag it around back

DSCF0056.jpg

Looks like it belongs on there, I do have to fix the mounting bracket on the pass side by the core support, its a little bent from the accident it had 20 years ago.

DSCF0057.jpg

DSCF0058.jpg

DSCF0059.jpg

there are really only 2 spots on this cab that I need to fix

1: the drivers side floor

DSCF0060.jpg

2: The pass fender well and battery holder

DSCF0061.jpg

so now here i sit waiting on the wiring harness to get here and some gaskets for the L20

I should have paid more attention to the transmission I took out, it is a short tail, and I have a long tail 5 speed, maybe its a good thing I kept the drive shaft out of the 620. I do know that I am going to have to fab up a trans bracket and have some length removed from the drive shaft. Time to put the welder I bought to use.

Im scrapping the 5 speed idea at the moment as I need to get the truck back on the road so the 4 speed is going back into it, on a lighter note, ups dropped off my EZ wire wiring harness yesterday. I need to prep and paint the cab this weekend before I start installing the harness

got the L20b tore down to a short block for the reseal. for an engine that has never been opened up, it looks pretty damn good, the only thing that I noticed that in the bottom of the oil pan was chunks of the old timing chain guides from when it broke on my grandfather. tomorrow its more clean up and then prep and paint the engine, then put the a87 head together with the L20 camshaft.

with a little bit of help from dat u racing (ok he did all the work) and a good chunk of the bed from the 620 the 521 now has a new floor in it, still have a little welding to do before I seam seal it, tomorrow I am going to repair the inner fender and rebuild the battery box.

• 3 weeks later...

Battery box is done, floor is seam sealed, threw a little primer on around the windshield frame, now comes the fun part (the part I hate) the prep work, lots and lots of prep work to get it ready for its new color.

heres my wheels, I need to find 1 center cap, but I think I am gonna get 4 new ones with the knock offs in them

DSCF0005.jpg

and here is the old cab waiting to be recycled

DSCF0006.jpg

Finally have the battery box and floor "presentable", still have a little finishing work to do on both

Old battery box, a good chunk was missing out of the radiator side support bracket, and the entire front was missing

DSCF0061.jpg

New Battery box, I still need to finish the inner fender

newbatterybox.jpg

Hole in drivers side floor

DSCF0060.jpg

New Floor, the patch panel was made out of part of the bed to my 620

newfloor.jpg

as of right now I am waiting on the primer to dry, then I can go back in and finish it up with a little body filler to smooth it all out.

Edited by Bugeye
  • 3 weeks later...

The L20 has been hot tanked, primed and painted, waiting on my mains to get here, still need to order some new standard pistons and rings, have to install the freeze plugs. I've decided to build a fuel mileage engine, so I am going to rebuild the U67 head off of the L16. Kind of sad I'm building the engine to sit on the stand while I am doing the body work.

• 1 year later...