Hello from Colorado Springs

kdkg

Was glad to find this site last night. Was looking for an info source for Datsuns. I just picked up my 76 620 this afternoon. It's not totally trashed, but I have lots to do to the inside. It has a Z Motor and a 5 speed. Not too sure on the details of the swap, but it seems to do ok. Just some minor details to work out.

Was going to just have it painted flat black, but after I stated waxing it this evening, the "olive drab?" paint was actually looking pretty decent.

My daughters Rat Truck, we have owned for a year, but it is stuck in 3rd gear currently. Was meant to be a father/daughter project but she is not into driving yet. So it sits... Slammed but not bagged, some nice detailing, and a real decent interior.

As for the 620, not too sure what I am going to do with it other than drive it. Would like to set it up like a "road racer" but I have alot of irons in the fire so most likely it will just be a run-about like my Honda.

As for me, Retired Military, Hippie now. I have a hobby business of landscaping (hobby aka only work when I feel like it) and work a couple of days a week at an adjudicated youth treatment center.

But other than that, glad to be on-board...

Edited by kdkg
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My daughters Rat Truck, we have owned for a year, but it is stuck in 3rd gear currently. Was meant to be a father/daughter project but she is not into driving yet. So it sits... Slammed but not bagged, some nice detailing, and a real decent interior.

Welcome to the board. So you say your daughters Rat Truck is a 521. Do you have any pictures of it? You say it is slammed. I am curious just how far you have it slammed.

Welcome - Welcome !

I'm in Monument & work in Co Spgs. I saw that truck on craigslist. It looks cool in the pics he had up there. I'm into the 320's 520's & 521's. We'll need to hook up and talk Datto:D

Glad you found us. Lots of good folks here with a ton of knowledge. Check out the FAQs page and do some searching. You can probably find any info your after.......and then some.

Yep, found the FAQs on Wednesday night. I even watched the Newbie video.

Thanks

Welcome - Welcome !

I'm in Monument & work in Co Spgs. I saw that truck on craigslist. It looks cool in the pics he had up there. I'm into the 320's 520's & 521's. We'll need to hook up and talk Datto:D

Yep, was on craigslist. I had went and looked at it the first time he posted. I made an offer and then left. It took about 2 weeks but they called me to take the offer. I had originally looked at it for parts, but it runs too good to do that. Plus, at the time, I didn't realize the parts were not interchangeable with my daughters 521. Sooo, will still have to be looking out for a parts truck for the daughter. She needs front fenders (rust) and a better bed. Finding another tranny might be cheaper than trying to fix hers too. I know the tranny is bound to be something simple, but repairs shops will still have to put in the chargeable hours. Or I could always get it into the garage, up on stands and give the tranny a try myself. :bored:

hey, my son is at ft carson, are you a vfw member? if so, which one? he may know you.

he drives a honda too.

I haven't joined a VFW.

What year is his Honda? The early ones (70s and up to 83) tend to get my attention. Mine is a beater, but I have open up the exhaust (Hillbilly cat back. cherry bomb w/ a turndown.) I cut through carson on Fridays and Saturdays going and coming from work. We live right off of Carson in the Fountain area. My Honda is a putt putt in the city, but once it gets on the highway, it is actually quite fast. cruising 80 is easy and 100 is not that hard. Only thing I wish was different is that it is an Auto without any way to shift down to 1st. So, I don't have any "off the line" acceleration. The tranny will shift down to 1st on it's own, but shifts up to 2nd way too early. The power curve doesn't really exist until 4000 RPM.

As for pics, I have them, but don't remember where I saw the instructions on how to post them. Will have to try a few things.

Thanks all for the welcome.

And here is the Daughter's Rat truck. My daughter is the one on the far right, son is on the left.

2313917870055934002S600x600Q85.jpg

2500642400055934002S600x600Q85.jpg

And here is my recent acquire. Photos taken by the seller. I will take some more once I get it waxed up.

2180823780055934002S600x600Q85.jpg

2464120060055934002S600x600Q85.jpg

And of-course the mighty Honda

2969942890055934002S600x600Q85.jpg

As for the Suzuki LJ-20. They are fairly rare, but the best source of info is at LJ10.com

A LJ-10 is an aircooled 2 stroke 2 cylinder. A LJ-20 is watercooled 2 stroke 2 cylinder. Unfortunately ours does not run. It is just stashed away for right now. They are about 3/4 the size of a Suzuki Samurai. Never officially imported, only gray market. They also came in hard tops.

Hey...look Bob...another Coloratsun Member:D!!!

Nice job on the thread man. Glad to see you here.:)

you may have already gone and checked, but the old A1 auto salvage place, now Pull-n-Pay, had a 521 and 3 or 4 620s when I was there a couple weeks ago. The 521 has rust free front fenders.:rolleyes:

Hope to see you at the next multi annual Coloratsun meet...date TBA:cool:

I like the stance on your 521...looks great!

you may have already gone and checked, but the old A1 auto salvage place, now Pull-n-Pay, had a 521 and 3 or 4 620s when I was there a couple weeks ago. The 521 has rust free front fenders.:rolleyes:

Thanks, I will check that out. You are talking about the one on 85/87 right north of Security, right? Just down the road from me, about 7-10 miles away.

• 2 months later...

Hey there CoSprings...Any news on your daughters truck? I would love to see some more pics of it. My daughter is 13 and I just had the "what do you want to drive" conversation with her...her perspective is pretty interesting.:blink:

I think you could understand:D