David's VG30 Swap Finally Begins

qwik510

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just awesome Qwik! Man I would be super curious how wide this engine will be at its widest, with manifolds on. If you have a tape measure handy I'd love to know!

And again, I just love this color. If I were to get around to painting the '59, I think I'd have to do it blue as part of a two tone.

Thanks. I will take some measurements when I get a chance.

I spent alot of time looking for a period correct color of blue that I liked. I can't wait to get the entire car painted that color.

The 59 would look sweet in a 2 tone blue with this blue on top.

Update from today.

The trans is in now too. Having issues fitting the drivers side 200sx exhaust manifold. It will not clear the steering box. I may need to get some headers.:mad:

The Dizzy has been changed too and now the hood should clear:D

Here are a few more pics from today.

IMG00005-20091120-1447.jpg

IMG00006-20091120-1447.jpg

IMG00007-20091120-1448.jpg

IMG00008-20091120-1448.jpg

IMG00103-20091119-1641.jpg

IMG00012-20091120-1448.jpg

• 1 month later...

Happy New Year!

I spent a few hours in the garage today working on the car. I got the clutch master cylinder installed and the B210 brake booster and the 280ZX 15/16" brake master. I will need to pull the brake stuff back out to bench bleed the master and install the steering box and exhaust manifold.

Here are some overdue pics:

Passenger side Heater hose.

VG_pic4.jpg

Drivers side heater hose.

VG_pic6.jpg

Clearance between the 200SX exhaust manifold and the steering box. I had to do a little trimming on both.

0062.JPG

Close Up.

0012.JPG

Clutch Master.

VG_pic1.jpg

Clutch master cylinder, brake booster and brake master cylinder.

VG_pic5.jpg

VG_pic2.jpg

I need to set up a small paint booth so I can clean up and paint a bunch of small parts like the steering box and the manifold and more. I got the garage up to a toasty 65 degrees today so I think that is warm enough to paint. I was working in a short sleeve shirt and it was 35 outside. My propane heater never used to be able to keep the garage warm but we got a new insulated garage door this past spring and it makes all the difference.

Passenger side exhaust manifold. Lots of room on this side.

VG_pic3.jpg

I need to find a plug for that big threaded hole where the EGR stuff used to go. I was wondering if I could find an adapter that I could use to mount the O2 sensor there. Anyone know if this would be an ok place to mount the O2 sensor?

You don't need to bench bleed the master cylinder. That is an american car thing..

Could be IDK about it only being an "american car thing" ( sounds close to my ford :lol: ) in addition , It's policy for a few shops I know of to bench bleed every Brake Master Cylinder. I imagine gravity drip could work too ! ( Bench Bleeding seems faster , and less worry's for me when I have the time to do so , and I just hate air bubbles ;) ) IDK , but why wouldn't ya while it's right there ? just a thought !

Man your project is lookin good ! ( Blue is my favorite by the way so I am biased , anything blue looks great too me :D ) Should be a screamer once you get done with her ;) :thumbup: :hyper:

Love the color. If you have questions another person that might be able to help is yellowdatsun, he installed a VG30 in his 510. His turned out clean and runs great. Do you want to sell the air cleaner off the L20 If you still have it?

Love the color. If you have questions another person that might be able to help is yellowdatsun, he installed a VG30 in his 510. His turned out clean and runs great. Do you want to sell the air cleaner off the L20 If you still have it?

Thanks.

Sorry but I don't have an L20 air filter.

As to your question about the O2 sensor location: If you have only got one o2 sensor for the car, then it would make more sense to put it downstream in the y-pipe, assuming it is heated. If you install it in that manifold, your o2 would only be reading that bank and not the other. Thus fuel trims would be adjusted for both banks based on only one bank.

As to your question about the O2 sensor location: If you have only got one o2 sensor for the car, then it would make more sense to put it downstream in the y-pipe, assuming it is heated. If you install it in that manifold, your o2 would only be reading that bank and not the other. Thus fuel trims would be adjusted for both banks based on only one bank.

Thanks. I will get the exhaust guys to weld a bung into the Y-pipe.