1974 620 patina perfection

TDCTDI

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

dgi has graciously offered to help out on the tailgate, I've found a tailgate on Clist but he suggested that I make sure that it wasn't for a 520/521, anyone know what differences to look out for?

4FF1B107-7C9B-4400-AA8F-D5330DFED619_zps

Here's a pic of it, unfortunately there aren't a lot of options on this coast.

That's a 620 gate

• Like 2

That gate looks perfect :cool: 

I like it

PB plaster the upper bushings that need replacing then put a jack under and lift the drum up and you can replace those bushings ezer when trying to unscrew that bolt

mklotz70, a long time member here, offers a nylon bushing set that are much better than stock. 

http://www.bluehandsinc.com/320520521620drum-urethane-uca-bushings.html

Thanks for the info, I was interested at nylon but the ad says they're urethane (& energy suspension). I've tried the urethane route before & 6 months after installing them, the car had wicked on/off throttle pull due to deformed bushings. I vowed to never use them again, especially since the supplier said they'd replace them if I paid shipping both ways, that cost more than the bushings did. I never bought anything from them again.

That gate looks perfect :cool:

I agree.  I'm glad you picked that one up.  Certainly looks more appropriate on your truck that the one I have would have been.

I'm watching your progress, so keep posting as you work.

dgi

More boring crap part deux

CC3860F6-D534-4E1E-89D5-19D1D86FFBAF_zps

Maybe the PO was right, it didn't look like the brakes were ever adjusted & all I needed to do was adjust them. This adjuster was seized also & just a little heat expanded the housing enough for it to slide out easily.

38E28EEC-080D-447B-8812-CB082C17DA5E_zps

I found that my battery post terminal cleaner does a wonderful job of cleaning the adjuster.

CDCB4152-6B53-4E0C-8600-3ED9A0CBA853_zps

And the housing.

BCC156AC-CCBB-44A4-B29B-2C29C7842906_zps

DCAE547A-4DD9-4DCA-871A-6614CFF16438_zps

Here's all the wondrous, chunky, funky-ness one would expect from a brake system that has been untouched for 25+ years.

8DDE4E61-90FD-4C96-B366-42F14C71EF46_zps

And here it is all back together.

• Like 3

when I do my brakes I take the bearing out(wjole hub) to pull the drum.

I cant believe you could get the drum off without still leaving the hub on there. Mine I have to separate o the ground with PB plaster and 2x4 . Wasn't EZ.

I would put anti seize behind the plate but Im sure you know this already

I gots mad skills with the BFH. "Mad" being the operative word.

It's been running since the carb rebuild, I still need to drop the tank & flush it & the lines, get the brakes working, since it's an automatic it's all go once in gear & replace the water pump & radiator. After it's drivable then I'll get the exhaust replaced, it's rotted off after the flange to the manifold.