Dyi heat shield

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They work.

They help protect the fuel and air from radiant exhaust heat.

How do you measure the effectiveness beyond just the theoretical benefits?

I'm curious because I'm considering using a heat shield in a similar applications, but I'm curious as to the best way to measure effectiveness. 

Gold Foil FTW....great choice of heat shield, that shit is SOLID, have sold loads to raceteams over the years.  Make sure you keep that -10 line off the edge of the rear of your shield....that shit will saw a nice relief if you don't. 

• Like 1

I'm curious because I'm considering using a heat shield in a similar applications, but I'm curious as to the best way to measure effectiveness. 

put a temp probe under the carbs with and without the shield......see for yourself.  I imagine it will be a big Delta.

• Like 1

Dyno with and without heat shield.

It's tough to replicate the under hood scenario, but you can get pretty close if you know what you're doing.

• Like 1

Stick your hand beneath the carbs while the engine hot and running....then do it with the heatshield on.

I made this one myself....$10...it works.

IMAG0249.jpg

You're welcome.

Dyno with and without heat shield.

It's tough to replicate the under hood scenario, but you can get pretty close if you know what you're doing.

How much of a difference have you seen on a dyno with and without this kind of heat shield?

I was having bad heat soak issues with my Mikunis. It was even worse once I took the stock mechanical fan off, due to the lack of constant moving air. Before, I would only have issues if I was sitting for a long period. Once the fan came off, the fuel would start to percolate within 10 minutes, even while driving. Fuel percolation = going nowhere. I had a electric pusher fan on the manifold side, so it was probably blocking some airflow through the radiator.

Having a short Mikuni manifold, it puts the carbs right over the exhaust. I made a shield out of some galvanized steel and aluminum band I had laying around. Mikuni manifold has two threaded bosses on the underside, so that's what the shield mounts to. The aluminum band reinforces the shield; it's rock solid. The shield has no extra heat barrier material. The steel itself does the job. Under the shield and the shield itself will be hot, above the shield is cold. I can touch the bottom of the carburetors and they are not even warm. Heat shields do work!!

Notice the dimples for the accelerator pump rods.

F32DD4A5-DA37-4C86-A600-329DAAC5DDA0_zps

Mounting bolts

9D6794AC-F11D-44A7-8660-FB76873703C1_zps

4D28A6BC-D046-4D41-A03F-04F3BF1A76D9_zps

• Like 1

I have seen tons of different mounting options. Using the 6mm screws on the intake only, usually results in broken screws. You need to hang them out at the edge near the opening of the carbs too, but when doing this, you need to mount it in a manner that doesn't add rigidity to the carbs, especially when using soft mounts.

One way to mount the heat shield, is to use an air cleaner backing plate (ITG) and mount it to that alone. The backing plate ties the carbs together too which is important when using soft mounts and a centerpull linkage.

• Like 1