will L18 pull 3:73 gears

So I just scored a 1972-75 dana 44 narrow track out of a CJ center diff and a dana27 close knuckle front ,steering,leafs.problem is they have 3:73 gears,will a good running L-18 pull those gears because right now I have the stock 4:37s. I  was wondering if any of you guys have run them.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like you're describing a front end. What good is that to you on a 2wd truck???

What are your plans? Is this to make a 4x4??? 3.73 are shitty gears for a low power L18. Those are intended for a 4 liter 6 cylinder with lots of torque. Likely there are replacement gear ratios fro the Dana 44 that match closely to the 4.375s in it. You still need a transfer case for it. Get a divorced T-100 from any 720 4x4.

sorry I left a big part out I have a  1973 620 with a low 4x4 conversion kit on it , they use a dana 27 on the front and put the rear leafs on top of the rear end.The rear are stock gears 4:37 and the front are 4:27 gears,now this works but you cant go over about 30 mph in 4wheel drive I just want to remedy this by putting a dana 44 in the rear. Now I can change the rear end to 4:27 to match the front I was just wondering if I just should swap eveything and try the 3:73 but it sounds to be a bad idea?

3.73 gears front and back is no good. Truck weighs 3,500 pounds and only has about 80 hp.

You will need to swap much higher gears into the rear diff to match the front you have.

This assumes the CJ axle width is comparable to the 620 and has 6 bolt rims not 5.

Or...

Run ever so slightly taller tires on the back to make up the difference. It's only half an inch larger for stock tires.

Don't go over 30 MPH.