620 carrier bearing..repair ?'s

Ok did the search 1st & it's not workin for me. OK heres the deal, on the way up to JCCS last Sunday the rubber surrounding the carrier bearing decided to give out / it's not there anymore. The part was replaced a few years ago so i know the bearing itself is still good. What id like to do is to repair / replace the rubber surrounding the bearing. I seem to remember somebody here doing this with good results..i wanna say it was Datzenmike. Id like to know what material was used. I really dont want to have to repace the entire part, i remember it being a pain & i actually broke my vise removing the old part...:blink: TY in advance...

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I did do mine when it had the center bearing. I removed the top U shaped metal surround that clamps the rubber against the lower base. I used a strip of conveyor belt from a gravel pit. It was about 3/8" thick. I used a steak knife but recently used some to help isolate my rad from vibration and used a jigsaw. Faster and safer. Cut a long strip just wide enough to fit the stationery outer race of the drive shaft bearing, I forget 1 1/2" maybe? Wrapped it around and around like a jelly roll, until big enough that the U clamp would hold it tightly against the base half when bolted down. 4-6 turns around, I forget. May have used that soft black wire to hold it while clamping it down. Don't remember having any problems with it unwinding or anything while working with it, a couple of test fits and it was on. I only intended it as a temporary fix till I could find a new one but it worked so well there was little reason to bother changing it. Had it on for years.

The conveyor belt was a sheet of rubber with layers of cotton or nylon fabric inside. (like a tire) It was an old belt so I got 5 feet of it for the asking. I think I used some for my body lift too.

I know someone who just replaced there whole driveline with a stock 510 wagon driveline, i guess it fit great, no more carrier bearing.:D

I assume it's a one piece then. Interesting. Doesn't the drive shaft hit the cross member?

Dwn- easier for me to repair the rubber surround + i dont have that 1 piece driveshaft anymore.

Steve- if my exhaust was tucked up any higher it would be in the cab:lol:

Ron- i was refering to my shorts...:rolleyes:

Of course you were...........................!;)