Interchangeability of 620/521 brake parts

Anderson521

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So I bought the truck and it has no rear brake components, popped the drum off and it was empty, the reason I ask about interchangeability is my rear lugs do not have the same thread as my fronts. Could I possibly have a 620 or other diff? Or is that standard?

The rear axle assy has been swapped. No way a truck would be made with different size lugs on it. Possibly all the wheel studs were removed and replaced with something else.

The rear axle assy has been swapped. No way a truck would be made with different size lugs on it. Possibly all the wheel studs were removed and replaced with something else.

Or perhaps axles from a different truck that fit In the same housing? I'm told this vehicle has blown several gear sets so maybe the previous splines or the axles themselves were damaged and 620 axles were all that were available thus the smaller lug size??

OK, a lot depends on if you have changed the front brakes to disc brakes, if you have then that would likely be why the front lugnuts drop over the rear lugnut studs, early Datsun trucks had small studs, while the later stuff had larger studs/lugnuts.

Now if you still have the 521 front drum brakes, then the front drum lugnuts dropping over the rear studs doesn't seem possible, as there were no smaller studs/lugnuts as far as I know on trucks, but the later 620 and 720 hubs did have larger studs/lugnuts, and they do not work on earlier axles.