Putting 1/2 Chevy axels under my 81 Datsun

Lakec423

Photo bucket will allow that. I post all my pics from my phone. Download the photobucket app, sign up, upload your photos, and then go into the app and hit the share button it will bring up an image code cut and paste that one here. If you are using Android to upload your photos select the pics you want to upload then hit share and Photobucket should show up in that list pick that and it will automatically upload them to Photobucket

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I use flickr. Haven't used a PC in years. All my pics are taken, uploaded, and posted from my phone. You'll get the hang of it.

I too would like to see this built. My off road experience has been 100% in California. Rocks, dunes, snow etc. Much different than what you will be doing in that truck. So, like some others here, i would not build that truck the way you are planning. Is this truck going to be for mud only?

Build what you can afford, and learn from your experience. Some of the most fun I've had with my rigs was building them. Have fun with it!

I run an 81 on full size Chevy axles. Started off with half tons, 4.56 gears, 33 inch boggers. A 2wd oil pan helps with clearance between it and the drive line. Graduated to 36 inch Iroks. That's when the T-100 gave up! Blew two holes in it. Swapped in a divorced np205. I make my own drive lines out of square tube. They are not street worthy because they'll never balance out but my rig is a trailer queen. I'm more concerned about it's strength.

The stock power steering box has held up great. The pitman arm, not so much. I've had to replace it a couple times.

I'm now running tons, 5.13 gears, Detroit's, and 37 inch PBR's on TMI beadlocks. The stock Z22 with a 38 Weber is only running on hopes and dreams at this point and the clutch isn't up to the task. I have a 4.3 sitting in the garage waiting to be swapped in after I get the wife's 620 on the trail.

A road worthy build will not be cheap. You will need A LOT of gearing. Depending on you tire size you want to run, you'll need at least 5.13s. I talked to two custom drive line shops and both didn't have a solution for me when I was running the T-100. Ended up having to make my own adaptor to run a 1310 double carden joint up front. Short of full hydrologic, you'll have a hard time steering that 10 bolt. Might be able to swap in a machined D44 knuckle with a high street arm.

I'm very proud of Ugg (my rig). Just know that NOTHING is easy when building these rigs. Good luck man....

• Like 1

Go to " 

620 4x4 conversion " ( a build thread ) The answers to your steering questions will be there.

Page 3 

p_002.jpg

Not to ring my own bell.... But you might want to read the whole post. I've been doing this for a few years.

Also look at 2 d's build .  He's a master.

The frames are different  but the process is the same.......

• Like 1

Why not just use a Toyota steering box? Many variations on pitman arms, you can port them easily for ram assist and are available almost anywhere.

The passenger side high steer arm is a good idea to get crossover and I like using the stock tie rod location as it doesn't screw up the ackerman as bad as high steer does.

• Like 1