Power Problems...Not Bogging? L-16

That4doorKiD

Any updates? Need closure

I insured my 510, and driving it like this now, only 2nd gear it bogs down and creeps up tho almost like if it's 3rd gear instead and like if I mish shift it, and when i shift to 3rd it's fine. I can't find 4th or 5th gear tho, I know that sounds crazy but I can't

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a dogleg, I'm pretty sure I'm going into 2nd because I can slightly take off in 2nd from a stop before i stall, but 3rd will stall. So I know I'm going into 2nd.

With out being there it sounds like you are missing the shift into second. Might have issues going into second, making you think you are getting second but it's really fourth. ISomethings wrong with that second/third gate??? Dunno myself, not a tranny guy lol. Where the dogleg come from? I think you would be able to get her going in second with no stalling

• Like 1

The gate with reverse usually takes an extra little push/pull, then you can put it in reverse. First being in the same gate as reverse, you should feel that 'click' into it. Going to the second/third gate should be done naturally by the trans returning to the neutral position, then it's a case of pushing up or pulling down into gear; you don't necessarily have to move the shifter to the center gate. You should be able to tell by looking at the angle of the shift rod which gate you're in, i.e. R/1, 2/3, or 4/5.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm learning from many things, and 5 speeds are not as sloppy as 4 speed stumpys. 

Moral: Thoroughly go through diagnostics, when working on your car not like a baby asking so many questions :crying: , AND DON'T be fooled by mis shifting and skipping 2nd gear. This whole time I have been mis shifting into 4th, It's a big change from 4speed into 5 speed the gear postions are so close together.

Tushay~

Shift patterns for 4 and 5 speeds are the same. There are two possible causes for sloppy missed shifts. The most likely is that the shifter bushings are worn or fallen out from use. They are only plastic. I used a Dodge bronze door hinge repair kit to fix mine but there are others including the $5 Nissan parts.

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/67842-just-did-the-chrysler-door-hinge-shift-bushing-mod/

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/47452-shift-lever-bushings/

The other is there is a built in mechanism that centers the shifter in the 3/4 gate when released in the neutral gate. There is a spring loaded 'cam' that drops into a grove on the striking rod. It takes effort to move the shifter to the right 5th/Rev or to the left 1st/2nd. If the spring is broken the 3/4 gate is easier to miss.

goon5speedswap017Large.jpg

goon5speedswap020Large-1.jpg