Just did the "chrysler door hinge" shift bushing mod...

Kytoaster

holy COW.

Amazing difference, definitely recommend if you've been thinking about replacing your shift bushings!

Before (No bushings at all), I could move the shifter in roughly a basketball sized circle while in any gear.

Now, I hardly have any play at all while in gear, and it clicks solidly into each gear.

I grabbed This guy:
2uxL7BY.jpg

Put these into the shifter using a vice
pF8Zue9.jpg

Had to grind down the sides of them to get it to fit using a file (around 5 min of filing).

The pin that holds the shifter in place will JUST fit into the bushings with a good amount of lube (I used anti-sieze and a c clamp) to get it through.

Doing a bit of light filing to widen the new bushings would have been easier, but I was cold and it was getting dark out.

Took around an hour between going to 3 different parts stores to find the right door hinge set, removing, pressing them in, filing to fit and c clamping the pin back in. 

Totally worth it, here's the original post I found the info on, just wanted to share with everyone in case someone hadn't seen it!

http://atlanticz.ca/zclub/techtips/shifterbushing/index.html

• Like 7
  • Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, these work great. U forgot to mention,u have to cut thru them so they can be pressed in. I didnt have to file anything down tho. Being metal,they will last much longer,tho makes for bit more powertrain noise.

I actually didn't cut mine? I just pressed them in on my vice with a little anti-sieze on them. That said, it would have probably helped to have made a tiny cut through them.