S30 randomly dies

EndStar

i upgraded my headlight harness on my 280z, it not draws current directly from the battery. afterwards i drove it fine, then i was sitting in it and it died. then it would not turn on. even a push start didn't work. i flicked the headlight switch on and off a few times and it started. drove it back home and it died once again, flicked the switch again, and it started again. even if i unplug the battery the car will still die. but one day i pulled the choke (carbs) and it didnt die once on the drive, and it died earlier that day. any help would be great. i was thinking that i might need to upgrade my distributor, or i have a ground bleeding out??? not sure. any help would be great!

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

From what you said above, it sounds like it's an issue with carburetion, not electrical. I bet the headlight switch is a red herring.

On the other hand, is the charging system working? If not, that could have something to do with the stalling.

It's just odd that when I turn my headlights on and off a few times it starts up again. I'll have to tune my carbs again next time I get a chance and see if they are out of wack

When you say it dies, do you mean it sputters and dies or does it act as if you turned off the ignition switch? When you go to try and restart, does it sputter but not catch or just crank with no indication that it's trying to fire? If it sputters and dies I'd think it would be fuel related otherwise I'd think electrical. If electrical, check your wiring to your distributor and your coil. I had an issue one time where it would just die like I'd turned off the ignition switch and it ended up being a loose wire going to my coil.

When you say it dies, do you mean it sputters and dies or does it act as if you turned off the ignition switch? When you go to try and restart, does it sputter but not catch or just crank with no indication that it's trying to fire? If it sputters and dies I'd think it would be fuel related otherwise I'd think electrical. If electrical, check your wiring to your distributor and your coil. I had an issue one time where it would just die like I'd turned off the ignition switch and it ended up being a loose wire going to my coil.

Dies as if I turned the key. And when I try to start it, the rpms don't rise at all, so it doesn't "catch".

i upgraded my headlight harness on my 280z, it not draws current directly from the battery???

What does this mean? Most H4 harness draw from the battery. and you use the connector at the pass side lamp to trigger the new H4 harness and power for that goes to the starter lug which is the battery cable

dont unplug the battery amymore. that was old troble shooting back in the day and wont work if a FI motor or any light switch on as it draws to much.

runa volt meter in car to know battery is charged.

get new battery cables or clean them. If electrnic ignition as mention that may be a issue.

i upgraded my headlight harness on my 280z, it not draws current directly from the battery???

What does this mean? Most H4 harness draw from the battery. and you use the connector at the pass side lamp to trigger the new H4 harness and power for that goes to the starter lug which is the battery cable

dont unplug the battery amymore. that was old troble shooting back in the day and wont work if a FI motor or any light switch on as it draws to much.

runa volt meter in car to know battery is charged.

get new battery cables or clean them. If electrnic ignition as mention that may be a issue.

I'm thinking that he meant to type that it now draws current directly from the battery.

Sounds pretty definitive to me. The lights are a red herring.

When it won't start, have you tried cranking with the throttle open slightly?

That won't do anything, when I normally start it, my rpms rise. But when it dies, and I try and start it, they don't rise at all. As if it is not trying to start at all

That won't do anything, when I normally start it, my rpms rise. But when it dies, and I try and start it, they don't rise at all. As if it is not trying to start at all

this points toward electrical connection no power to the tach

start by checking all wires at the coil  bad connections/ cracked wires/ bad coil wire / bad ground / short at ignition switch etc

while its dead have a friend move wires while cranking it over and watch the tach

good luck