Stupid mistake of ignorance. Oil pump installation.

I an running a Z24i in an 86 D21 pick-up.  I installed a new oil pump and want aware that I had to align the timing marks. I tried to start the motor and it was back firing, Didint really have time to mess with it any further. Should I be able to just pull the pump and re align the shaft or have I seriously fucked something up? I'm not really a mechanic but I do atleast repair and maintain simple stuff. Just looking for a little insight from some more experienced folk like yourselves

• Like 1
  • Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No harm is done.

Set the engine to TDC on the compression stroke of the number one cylinder using the notch on the back of the largest crank pulley and the saw tooth timing scale near the alternator just behind it.

Lparts002Large.jpg

L20Btimingscales0011Large.jpg

Remove the distributor by removing the two mounting bolts to the timing cover. This will keep your ignition timing intact. Fit the oil pump and drive spindle together and install so that when you look down on top of them the spindle is aligned like below....

distributortiming.jpg

Take note that there is a large and small half moon on the top of the spindle. Small side to the front. Install the distributor and you should be able to carry on like nothing has happened.

• Like 3

No harm is done.

Set the engine to TDC on the compression stroke of the number one cylinder using the notch on the back of the largest crank pulley and the saw tooth timing scale near the alternator just behind it.

Lparts002Large.jpg

L20Btimingscales0011Large.jpg

Remove the distributor by removing the two mounting bolts to the timing cover. This will keep your ignition timing intact. Fit the oil pump and drive spindle together and install so that when you look down on top of them the spindle is aligned like below....

distributortiming.jpg

Take note that there is a large and small half moon on the top of the spindle. Small side to the front. Install the distributor and you should be able to carry on like nothing has happened.

Couldnt find a rustier engine Mike?

• Like 1

Its very strange, i've set the shaft to that position and it still wont start (raised portion at 11:25). What's strange is that before I got the new pump, i put the old one back in and it started fine (with lacking oil pressure of course) I have not turned the crank without the shaft in place. is there a chance that it could have been placed off timing? Maybe a freak chance of the rotor button going bad at that very moment? This is the dual-plug motor BTW

I appreciate you guys help alot!

Set to TDC compression on #1. You can verify this by looking at the number one valves....they both should be closed.

Now confirm the 11:28 position of the spindle. Rotor should be pointing to front of vehicle or 9:00 o'clock as viewed from the drivers fender.