Carb and name plate.

Motschrocker

So i have been under the assumption the engine swapped into my datsun roadster is an L18 from a 73 610. It probably doesnt matter but just curious. Does the name plate below confirm this? Also does it tell me anything else about the vehicle it came from? Lastly i would like to rebuild the carb that came on it for the experience. Does this look like the original carb that would have come with the engine?

20150928_193730_zpszh9atfqa.jpg

20150928_193312_zpsl9ikyyzb.jpg

20150928_193323_zpsu2o5uotg.jpg

20150928_193343_zpszanip3dm.jpg

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Only the very first 610 had the L18 and then only till July of '73. Your L18 (presumably) is from a station wagon or estate car. The 105 hp is the gross hp from before engine power was measured as net power with mufflers, water pumps, alternators, air filters... basically exactly how you would buy the engine in a car.  Just reduce this number by about 15-18% to be comparable to other engines after '72.

Looks like it has been rebuilt sometime in the past. Has a manual choke.  Get a $30 rebuild kit with good instructions for settings and adjustments. These often have plastic gauges for setting the float drop and such, and lots of diagrams. I find that gaskets are the least necessary and hardly ever are the cause of problems. Number one problem is dirt and sediment blocking jets or inlet needle valve. Next is bad adjustments such as the choke, choke un-loader, float drop setting, fast idle setting. Loose screws. Brass inlet screen. Gaskets are last.

If the engine serial number matches the 610 wagon dataplate (the one on the right) then yep, it's from a '73 610.

The carb, maybe not.  610s had auto chokes in '73.  That one has a manual choke- it could just be modified, or it's an earlier carb.  It was rebuilt (badly, judging by the use of an incorrect gasket).

ln this picture, there is a "target" cast into the side of the float bowl.  Below that, the carb model was printed, but most of the printing is destroyed by strong carb cleaners.  With a strong light, and good eyes, you might be able to make it out.  probably a DAF 328-XX, the XX being different variants of the carb, used on different models of cars.

The 328 was a manual choke carb.  L-18 610 cars had electric chokes, so this is not the carb that the engine left the Datsun factory with.

20150928_193343_zpszanip3dm.jpg

yes there is a adapter. Some better than others I like the tall adapters but dont know if it will hit the hood on a raodster as most are the taller air cleaner also. Most kits have a cheaper thin type. some can crack if over tighten and you got to figure out the studs to install, Not that hard

I only suggest a weber as they are EZ to maintain once you got it correct.

Stock carb is fine untill they go bad I could never rebuild one myself. to many small parts.

There was another thread of a guy getting a 510 rebult carb for like 140$ fro some place.

if you can rebuildyours thats great