1979 620 parts help needed

John dillinger

I'm new to datsun and need help finding g parts because the salvage yards around here don't have any donor vehicles. I'm really just wondering if there are any other vehicles that I can look for to get the parts I need... I have a 1979 datsun 620 2wd 5 speed I need radiator, driver side upper and lower control arm, both fenders and grill and hood but really just need the control arms and radiator please if you know of any other vehicles I can get those parts from it would be a huge help

• Like 1
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi John and welcome to Ratsun. You can ask for information here about parts, but you can't ask for parts in any of the discussion forums, but, what you can do is place an ad in our classifieds...

Suspension... http://community.ratsun.net/classifieds/category/6-suspension/?sort_key=date_added&sort_order=desc

Body.... http://community.ratsun.net/classifieds/category/9-body-and-interior/?sort_key=date_added&sort_order=desc

The '75 and up L20B rad will fit your '79. They come in 2 and 3 core thicknesses.

Only the '78 and '79 upper and lower control arms will work because there were changes after '77 to the suspension and brakes.

Any '72.5 through '79 fender will fit your truck. Badges are the only difference.

The '78 and '79 grills are identical but earlier '72.5-'77 will also fit perfectly and (I think) are better looking.

• Like 1

Thank you are there any nissan pickup control arms compatible? I asked a guy that has a 78 620 and he said that I should be able to get them off of a 85 hardbody because he said that's what he did and everything bolted up. If that's the case I'll have no problem getting them the local scrap yard has plenty of them sitting

• Like 1

All '79s in the US had front discs.  It was one of the major changes for the '78 model year (disc brakes and ball joints, vs drum and kingpins that the 77 and older ones had.  Which makes finding control arms a bit harder since they were only used for 2 model years (78-79).

Now, I know the 720 and some D21 spindles will bolt to the 620 UCA/LCA assembles, but I don't think the 720 and D21 control arms will bolt to the 620 control arm towers.  Then again they might, but mess up the track width and steering geometry.  So unless they're proven to be either exactly the same (doubtful) or close enough (unlikely) I think you're stuck looking for 78-79 control arms.

• Like 1

I have a 1977 620 with drum brakes. What would be the best way to upgrade the fronts for now. I was thinking a donor truck would be the best way. I was told they did make 1977 620's with front disc and that 1977 thru 1979 would work. Reading the previous post makes me think the front ends are completely different when going from King Pin to control arms. I also see front disc mods being sold but they seem to have problems using 14" wheels and may be other issues so I was thinking finding a donor and changing over to stock Datsun control arms/ball joints and disc would be the better way to go. Help with direction on this would be appreciated.

• Like 1

All '79s in the US had front discs.  It was one of the major changes for the '78 model year (disc brakes and ball joints, vs drum and kingpins that the 77 and older ones had.  Which makes finding control arms a bit harder since they were only used for 2 model years (78-79).

Now, I know the 720 and some D21 spindles will bolt to the 620 UCA/LCA assembles, but I don't think the 720 and D21 control arms will bolt to the 620 control arm towers.  Then again they might, but mess up the track width and steering geometry.  So unless they're proven to be either exactly the same (doubtful) or close enough (unlikely) I think you're stuck looking for 78-79 control arms.

I have to agree with Doug on this. I checked the part numbers for the '80-'81 720 which used the same 620 disc brake set up and they were different... might fit, they look similar. Later 720 and Pathfinder had a compression rod instead of tension rod on the LCA and are at least that much different. I think the later 720/D21 and Pathfinder compatibility is not the LCA but the hubs and brakes.

• Like 1

I have a 1977 620 with drum brakes. What would be the best way to upgrade the fronts for now. I was thinking a donor truck would be the best way. I was told they did make 1977 620's with front disc and that 1977 thru 1979 would work. Reading the previous post makes me think the front ends are completely different when going from King Pin to control arms. I also see front disc mods being sold but they seem to have problems using 14" wheels and may be other issues so I was thinking finding a donor and changing over to stock Datsun control arms/ball joints and disc would be the better way to go. Help with direction on this would be appreciated.

I think the best thing is for you to type 620 disc brake upgrade into the search engine found on every page on the upper right. This is JohnDillenger's thread on his '79 brakes and parts. Any answers to you questions will just be confusing. Your own post on your truck will allow all answers to be directed at your problem. I think that you will fine your answer in the search as this is probably the most documented up grade for drum brake 620 there is. .

• Like 1

So far I think I got screwed on this truck radiator was busted fixed that, found out its got an issue with the water going to the oil going to see what the cause of this is tomorrow hopefully. lower left control arm supposedly is bent come to find out that the frame is bent... anybody know if I can use a old toyota helix frame cause my neighbor has one I can get for $50 if it doesn't involve a lot of custom parts and pieces I would do a body swap

• Like 1

I didn't get as much done as planned but I got it in the driveway and jacked up on stands and tires off going to start pulling the head off after work tomorrow... I'll let you all know what I find out about the head gasket when that task is done... but the control arm being bent I can't see any abvious bends or tweeks in the controll arm but I can see that the tire when it's on is out farther on the top then on the bottom like the bottom control arm is pushed in about 2 inches I'll upload pictures if my tablet will let me