WHYYYY NOOWWW

DatMo

You said earlier that there was no movement of the vehicle when you tried to drive it.

Your last post says when in neutral and the crank is turned, the driveshaft turns.

These two statements seen to be at odds with each other. I said earlier that there is enough friction and sticky oil in a transmission to have some turning of the output even in neutral. Try holding the driveshaft against this friction by connecting it up to the differential and placing the tires on the ground and then turn the engine over. Does the car move forward or if stuck in reverse, back up???

Don't worry about the clutch, it will be engaged.

the first post where it didn't move was with the driveshaft installed. The second is without a driveshaft installed. The car moves without the driveshaft. I'll put oil in the trans then I'll put the driveshaft back in and try to turn it over in first to see if it can unstuck the trans
  • Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

One time the jack slipped out and the car fell but all the wheelsb were attached and it wasn't high off the gound but besides that no. And yes I removed the shifter because it was a 5 speed so I needed to cut a hole for a bit more clearance. I spoke to a local mechanic I know and he said it happened to him with a corvettes and he hammered his tranny and it worked? Lol idk what to do at this point

I meant the transmission, was it dropped on the ground or badly bumped?

Stood up, tail in the air, on a couple of 2x4s

Well instead of guessing lets ask some questions instead or re-reading old posts and inferring things.

With the driveshaft installed and the vehicle on the ground, can you start it, place in neutral and let the clutch out? What exactly happens?

You removed the shifter. Are you 100% sure you reinstalled it correctly? Maybe that is why you think its in neutral but it isnt.

I'm almost positive I did reinstall it correctly. It clicks in and sinks down and only then you can place the c clip for it to go on.

I meant the transmission, was it dropped on the ground or badly bumped?

Stood up, tail in the air, on a couple of 2x4s

Well instead of guessing lets ask some questions instead or re-reading old posts and inferring things.

With the driveshaft installed and the vehicle on the ground, can you start it, place in neutral and let the clutch out? What exactly happens?

The transmission was on a set of 2x4's at one point but I remember after that it was still functional?

Where in SoCal are you, I'm going to be in LA tomorrow and I'm extremely tempted to have my gf pick me up and go settle this mystery personally....

i have work all day tomorrow :(

I'm in LA every week, so if it doesn't happen tomorrow I'll leave my offer open for next week as well.

ill be more than happy to take you up on that offer next Friday if it hasn't been solved by then! I'm almost positive my tranny has gotten stuck.

I'm not that flexible unfortunately, I'm only in LA for few to several hours one day of the week, and that day varies depending on my schedule, next week it's lining up to be on Wednesday, I'll know for sure next week, like i said, I'm in n out every week, what area of you in?, our yard is in Montebello.

This is a gif that Dmike had in another thread but it's a tranny so the same basic rules apply

To me after you said that you were able to still shift into 1st and 2nd but not 3rd and 4th sounds like you have some how bumped you 3rd and 4th gate to engage locking up the tranny, but still allowing the FEEL of it going into 1st and 2nd ( if someone can get the gif to work, I can't on my iPad)

Try pushing in the clutch and have someone rock the truck back and forth and see if it will pop into 3rd gear ( assuming you have the drive shaft hooked up )

Farmer

This is why I suggested the above. If transmission is stuck in a gear placing it in another will solidly lock ANY movement clutch in or out the vehicle will be locked solid unmovable. If you place in neutral, it will just be in whatever gear it's stuck in and if you let the clutch out with the engine running it will move, or try to. Obviously if it backs up it's stuck in reverse.

also need...

Was this transmission EVER working properly?

or

It was just installed