Feisty little Grimlin!!

1042medic

76' 620

Ok, I've been chasing this thing a few days now. Follow me here.....

-Brake lights stay on with truck off and no running lights though.....

-Turn on headlights and brake lights dim to what appears normal running lights brightness....

-Initiate turn signal left or right ( don't matter ) and turn signal light turns off no blinky....

-Hazards don't work either no matter what.....

-Truck runs great, steers great, brakes great, won't power brake and worried it might catch fire!!!

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My blinkers will do the same think: left blinks and clicks but right just stays on. I was told its because the wire connection somewhere on the right is loose. I suggest you unplug the front marker harness and inspect the pins. Add a little dielectric grease and plug back. I havnt fixed mine yet so cant say more.

EDIT: I prefer what he^^ said...

Brake lights stay on...inspect the switch at the pedal.

Yep, just as flatcat says. I've had this happen on two vehicles now. If you look toward the top of the pedal you will see the switch, and there should be a plastic plug in place that presses the button when you let off the pedal. After forty-ish years the plastics disappears. I've fixed both vehicles by taping a penny to the pedal so that it presses the button. The coupe pedal needed to be adjusted and required 2 pennies.

No go on the penny, quarter or buttocks shaped diamond. Did use my NRA medallion and that worked! When I wiggle the light switch my running lights cut off and on, so I'm pretty sure I need to check the solder on the back of that switch. Still need to remove and clean the blink switch, still no blinkers or hazards. Funny thing is blinkers were working two days ago and now nothing. Hmmm ok thanks guys.

I had problem with my brakes light not working at all. Thought it was the switch but it turned out to be the glass fuse. It wasn't blown but it apparently the metal fuse in side had broken off from the metal contact end to where you couldn't see it. Go with what Flatcat said tho I'd recommend you just go ahead and replace your brake light switch, cheap enough fix I think, I wouldn't want to the hassle of trying to solder it back together but that is just me. 

• Like 1

Ok took apart the light switch and cleaned the contacts inside, super easy and quick and hot dog it's working as good as new! Yesterday my 5 month old daughter sat in her bouncy chair in the garage while dad cursed and worked on the Datsun. I've had this truck since '94, something tell me I'll still have it when I'm 94 or maybe she'll want it. Doubtful, but hopeful. Thanks for all the help so far guys, also yesterday came across the fusible link missing, replaced that too.