• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• flatcat19

• VFR800

• KoHeartsGPA

• datzenmike

Top Posters In This Topic

Why not spend New Year’s Eve totally soba?

Slurping up the history behind Japan's tasty tradition of yearend noodles

by Makiko Itoh

The yearend period, called shiwasu, is a really hectic time in Japan. Think of it as spring cleaning, Thanksgiving and the usual end-of-year activities all rolled into one.

Businesses and individuals busily try to tie up any loose ends, or at least bring things to a good stopping point, to end the year on a good note. You’re also supposed to give your home a good cleaning from top to bottom, to banish the old and stale to greet the new year afresh. Then there’s the added pressure of getting ready for the oshogatsu (New Year) celebrations, which usually involve family gatherings that for millions of people include a long trip back to their hometown. And on top of all of that there are all those bonenkai or “forgetting the year” parties to attend, which more often that not involve serious drinking, plus the fairly recent addition of Christmas-related parties and events. It’s no wonder that many people find this the most stressful time of the year.

Given all this frantic activity, it makes sense that New Year’s Eve itself, called omisoka, is traditionally celebrated very quietly in Japan. Instead of fireworks and party crackers and flowing champagne, most people spend the evening at home watching TV or reflecting on the year with friends and family. Temple bells, which can be heard throughout most of the country, ring out the old year 108 times, once for each of 108 traditional evils. Eating toshikoshi soba (yearend buckwheat noodles) is an integral part of New Year’s Eve in most parts of the country. The word “toshikoshi” means to climb or jump from the old year to the new.

Growing up in Japan in the 1970s, our family followed the standard New Year’s Eve ritual of the time. First, we’d have a light dinner, then we would all crowd in front of the TV, sitting on the tatami floor snuggled up inside the kotatsu (under-heated table covered with a thick duvet). We would watch the special yearend music programs that were so popular at the time, especially the “Kohaku Uta Gassen” singing competition on NHK.

More often than not, my sister and I would nod off when the young pop singers we were interested in had had their turn and the older enka singers started appearing, only to be woken up by my mother setting the kotatsu with bowls of hot toshikoshi soba. We’d slurp our soba while watching the rest of “Kohaku,” argue over whether the red or white team of singers deserved to win, then reluctantly drag ourselves out of the warm kotatsu to either go to bed or, if my parents were feeling energetic, to leave the house just after midnight and head to the local Shinto shrine for hatsumode, the year’s first shrine visit.

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/life/2010/12/24/food/why-not-spend-new-years-eve-totally-soba/#.WkkpfpXmpy0

• Like 3

Why not spend New Year’s Eve totally soba?

Slurping up the history behind Japan's tasty tradition of yearend noodles

by Makiko Itoh

The yearend period, called shiwasu, is a really hectic time in Japan. Think of it as spring cleaning, Thanksgiving and the usual end-of-year activities all rolled into one.

Businesses and individuals busily try to tie up any loose ends, or at least bring things to a good stopping point, to end the year on a good note. You’re also supposed to give your home a good cleaning from top to bottom, to banish the old and stale to greet the new year afresh. Then there’s the added pressure of getting ready for the oshogatsu (New Year) celebrations, which usually involve family gatherings that for millions of people include a long trip back to their hometown. And on top of all of that there are all those bonenkai or “forgetting the year” parties to attend, which more often that not involve serious drinking, plus the fairly recent addition of Christmas-related parties and events. It’s no wonder that many people find this the most stressful time of the year.

Given all this frantic activity, it makes sense that New Year’s Eve itself, called omisoka, is traditionally celebrated very quietly in Japan. Instead of fireworks and party crackers and flowing champagne, most people spend the evening at home watching TV or reflecting on the year with friends and family. Temple bells, which can be heard throughout most of the country, ring out the old year 108 times, once for each of 108 traditional evils. Eating toshikoshi soba (yearend buckwheat noodles) is an integral part of New Year’s Eve in most parts of the country. The word “toshikoshi” means to climb or jump from the old year to the new.

Growing up in Japan in the 1970s, our family followed the standard New Year’s Eve ritual of the time. First, we’d have a light dinner, then we would all crowd in front of the TV, sitting on the tatami floor snuggled up inside the kotatsu (under-heated table covered with a thick duvet). We would watch the special yearend music programs that were so popular at the time, especially the “Kohaku Uta Gassen” singing competition on NHK.

More often than not, my sister and I would nod off when the young pop singers we were interested in had had their turn and the older enka singers started appearing, only to be woken up by my mother setting the kotatsu with bowls of hot toshikoshi soba. We’d slurp our soba while watching the rest of “Kohaku,” argue over whether the red or white team of singers deserved to win, then reluctantly drag ourselves out of the warm kotatsu to either go to bed or, if my parents were feeling energetic, to leave the house just after midnight and head to the local Shinto shrine for hatsumode, the year’s first shrine visit.

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/life/2010/12/24/food/why-not-spend-new-years-eve-totally-soba/#.WkkpfpXmpy0

I just dream of the day that Japanese style noodle houses are as plentiful as the pho shops in the PNW, so much yummy in my tummy.

• Like 2