Need longer head bolts

510farmer

Ok guys as some of you had seen on my motor

The last owner put no washer on the headbolt on the last cam carrier

And drove the head through the aluminum

Ok so I had another head with the same stock 210 cam so I pulled the cam carrier off and

Replaced the old one, hoping that the cam will still line up and spin fine and such.

But I won't be able to tell till I have everything torqued down

When I did a clean out run with the head bolts I noticed that the front cam closest to the timing cover

Which is also the one that had the f-up from the previous owner the threads inside the block are striped A little in the middle of the threads but as you pass that point there is still plenty of good thread

So with the new cam carrier and the washer the regular bolt starts than as soon as the torque wrench is applied it starts spinning. I can take the washer off and it starts to torque down

But we will run into the same problem

So I belive what happened was the PO had the head gasket change and the mechanic lost the bolts or something and used a shorter bolt and no washer and drove it through the cam carrier.

I'm hoping that I can get away without having to coil the block and I belive a slightly longer bolt will work.

So long story short I need 1 longer head bolt 6 1/2 and a 5 1/2 long

Can some one point me in the right direction

Or have one I could by

Thx

Farmer

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What about z and ka bolts? They possible options? How long is your bolt and how much more length do you need? I can measure a single cam ka head bolt for you if you want. I have some in the garage

Z series are much different and KA are, besides wrong, torque to yield. Use once and throw away.

280z and 280zx head bolts are the same as the 4 cylinders. 280zx turbo are stronger and often used in the 4 cylinder engines but not longer I would guess.

Sound like block needs threads repaired. Good luck finding universal bolts in metric. Have u ckd how much extra threads u have in block?  Maybe put old tower back on,with bolt hole cut down into it large enough for washer. The depth equal to extra threads. As long as tower isnt distorted by Po, should work fine.

We'll I went to the nuts and bolts shop and I found some grade 8 bolts in the rite size that I need

But the question I have is with the heating up an expansion of the head will the grade 8 bolts work

I don't know if the the original head bolts have a higher heat and torsion strength

Than the new grade 8's

I'm looking for one bolt that needs to be 61\2 from the tip of the threads to the bottom of the head and one 51\2

With only 43.4 lbs of torque we are not asking a lot

Has anyone used grade 8 bolts with success on there head?

Thx

Farmer