1981 720 guage cluster removal

81SVN20

Hey fellow ratsun buddies can someone help me out in the removal of the cluster I removed the screw but the damn thing does not want to come out and I'm afraid of cracking the bezel.... Im in the process of changing out my speedo cable, pics are welcomed and any help is awesome thanks in advance!

• Like 1
  • Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

At the bottom there are two metal sleeves that clip on to the plastic. I usually feel around in there with a flat head to find them and then slide the flat head between the metal clip and the bezel to separate them.

• Like 2

Hey fellow ratsun buddies can someone help me out in the removal of the cluster I removed the screw but the damn thing does not want to come out and I'm afraid of cracking the bezel.... Im in the process of changing out my speedo cable, pics are welcomed and any help is awesome thanks in advance!

There are 2 screws holding the bezel in on the top, then you need to pry down a little to get the bezel past the lip that it is in, it should come right out, you need to pull on the bottom straight out to get it out of the lower clips.

You have a column cover also, you will have to remove the top of it to get the actual instrument cluster out, 4 screws hold the cluster in position, 2 on the upper sides, and 2 obvious ones on the bottom, you will need to un-plug the instrument cluster plugs and the speedo cable, don't know which cable you have, one twists off, while the other has clips that hold it on that you have to depress and then pull straight out.

• Like 2

At the bottom there are two metal sleeves that clip on to the plastic. I usually feel around in there with a flat head to find them and then slide the flat head between the metal clip and the bezel to separate them.

There are 2 screws holding the bezel in on the top, then you need to pry down a little to get the bezel past the lip that it is in, it should come right out, you need to pull on the bottom straight out to get it out of the lower clips.

You have a column cover also, you will have to remove the top of it to get the actual instrument cluster out, 4 screws hold the cluster in position, 2 on the upper sides, and 2 obvious ones on the bottom, you will need to un-plug the instrument cluster plugs and the speedo cable, don't know which cable you have, one twists off, while the other has clips that hold it on that you have to depress and then pull straight out.

Thanks alot Lockleaf and wayno!  Will tackle it this weekend....

Here's the dash as mounted in the truck.Two screws on top, two on the lower sides, and the lower clips hold it in.

20140630_155854_zps54af1be8.jpg

~Peter

Thanks Peter! This pic is very helpful, do you by chance have a pic of the bezel when you were removing it... that I would like to see as well.

I really don't, I'm sorry. There are (I believe) 4 screws across the top that are screwed straight up into the dash. and then it clips into those lower clips on the bottom. It helps to have the column cover off when doing all this, but it's not necessary, I've removed mine twice now and I only removed my column-cover the first time.

Also, if you have really small hands and are very dexterous, you can actually undo the speedo cable without needing to pull the dash out. It's rather cramped up in the dash, and getting underneath is tough, but it is doable.

~Peter

• Like 1

If you have a tilt column drop it as low as it will go.  If you have a regular column then pull the 2 bolts on the dash column clamp and push the column down if you need more room to pull the cluster assembly out.  I disconnect the speedo cable and wiring after i pull the cluster out at an angle. there is a clamp that holds the speedo cable on the firewall under the hood that needs to be taken off to get enough slack in the speedo cable to do this.

This sows the 2 top mounting holes.

DSC01821.jpg

This shows the lower side mounting holes.

DSC01819.jpg

DSC01818.jpg

This is to help you picture the placement of the 2 holes.

DSC01820.jpg

So jealous you got that painted dash denmarkboy found. Do you have it in a truck yet?

• Like 1

I am not positive but I think the colors are done with Sharpies not paint on the gauge faces.  Paint is definitely used on the needles.  I will be taking this cluster apart for a thorough cleaning and will look closer then. I will take more close up pictures at this time.

Sharpie_Rainbow_by_rainforest_hippi_xlar

• Like 1