flywheel need resurfacing?

lynchfourtwenty

so ya im sure i know the answer to this.. but i was also told i maybe able to use some 2000 grit sandpaper possibly to doit myself.. but im sure i need to pay to have it done.. anyway i like takin pics an gettin opinions so here goes..

Picture016-2.jpg

Picture015-1.jpg

obviously the smudge marks are my greesy finger prints i didnt mean to get on there.. whoops

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

$5 for a new belt for your sander... G.T.G.

And I will add the guarantee that that fucker WILL chatter when you are done. For $30, it sure isnt worth the labor of taking that transmission out of the truck twice. And when it chatters you are not going to enjoy driving the truck.

Jason

Save your money man and check it first flywheels don't really go bad(unless over heated yours look good) get a good straight edge and a feeler guage and check it for warpage just like a cylinder head. If its all with thousands of an inch you'll be fine.then I have just your standard 4 1/2 grinder I can put scotch brite pads on then just polish it up with a red pad. Works like a charm everytime. Or you can have it surfaced just a option for ya

yea i know this is going to sound really lame, but i dont have a straight edge OR a feeler gauge :( my clutch never really slip slipped to my knowlege.. not like it was gone or nothin.. but i did do the ocasional burn outs everyday lol and sometimes i failed.. rarely tho.. didnt do any pulling but did tons of hauling.. never had problems.. i wish some of you lived closer :(

tomorrow i will get some light sand paper and spend 15-20 mins on it.. i also have a razor blade i could use to maybe tell if its warped.. hey is the feeler gauge the thing u check valves with? if so i do have some.. but i will take more pics to get a better idea..

Yea you do use them to adjust valves you should have a variety of different thicknesses ya don't need a fancy straight edge I normally just use one of my combo squares cause its long enough to stretch across the flywheel to check on 2 different sides at once. Datsun flywheels are tough man, I smokeed 2 centerforce clutches and 1 nissan clutch all on the same flywheel in my old lz powered 620 back in the day.

Josh, didnt you tell me that the clutch was chattering slightly when you let it out under light load?? This chatter is a minor warpage that isnt going to be visible with a straight edge. I agree that scuffing them can work, but on a flywheel that was chattering, Its your labor--enjoy.

Jason

Ya, looks to me like it needs machining. There some blueing and some cracks in this pic. Both are from heat. The cracks cause chatter. Get it machined, it's cheap insurance and any machine shop should be able to do it. The process itself only takes about 10 minutes.

Picture015-1.jpg

as much as i want to have it machined i dont think its going to happen.. me an a buddy of mine tryed gettin the bolts loose today, didnt happen.. not even 1 .. i tryed the little tricks with the wrench an all that still nothin.. me an my friend both with everything we had at the Same time couldnt budge a single bolt.. i dont have any power tools.. or air tools, but i did pick up a sander today with a walmart gift card... im stuck.. i dont know what to do now other then atleast try to sand it a little bit an see what happens.. if i had a engine puller i could easily pull the engine an prolly get the bolts off but i dont even have one of those.. :(

yes i was able to lock the flywheel but once again... im ashamed to say i dont have a breaker bar or pipe to extend the ratchet.. :( this sucks, i really need to invest in tools, and i will, but right now im broke an i need to get this on the road.. i will ofcourse take pics after i sand the flywheel down so you guys can re-inspect it and if it fails your guys inspection i will just beg everyone i know that has a engine puller to borrow it for the weekend or something.. i will not be pulling this tranny to redo this for a long time, it will be done as close to correct as possible.. but i gotta try this first..

i know how that shit feels. im broke as fuck right now, and kinda in your same shoes. i wish i was closer, i have an air compressor and a FEW air tools and would REALLY love to come help. good luck man, worst comes to worse, get just any pipe like redeye said, bit your lip and GIVE IT HELL!. who does number 2 work for.....