flywheel need resurfacing?

lynchfourtwenty

got any big HEAVY wrenches??? if so put one on the end of your ratchet and use your legs. never had a bolt not break loose doing that. then again i have had bolts BREAK doing that but hot something that withstands that much abuse on a daily basis for 30+ years.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

got any big HEAVY wrenches??? if so put one on the end of your ratchet and use your legs. never had a bolt not break loose doing that. then again i have had bolts BREAK doing that but hot something that withstands that much abuse on a daily basis for 30+ years.

Double wrenching, adds alot of leverage. Be careful using this technique as the connection between wrenches is a little unstable laterally. These are 2 11/16 (same as 17mm)

DSCN1412.jpg

The same method can be used with a ratchet and it is a bit more stable. This is a 3/4 (same as a 19mm) slid on my ratchet.

DSCN0001.jpg

Of course there is always this one. This one of my favoritist tools, it's a BFH, a pry bar, a breaker extension, a press and so on and so forth. Lynch, if you don't have one I would get a BFH with a pipe handle before any other future tool acquisition:)

DSCN1414.jpg

Doesn't cost much..... get a piece of thick steel water pipe and hammer the end a bit oval so the box end hand wrenches will slide in. This way you can use a smaller diameter that fits your hand better. Make sure the ratchet handle will fit too. If I was designing a ratchet I would make them with a telescoping handle for really big bolts where there is room to swing it.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/toolsratchethandleextensionLarge.jpg[/img]"]toolsratchethandleextensionLarge.jpg

man i'd like to get me one of them, come income tax season i will be buying some more tools, all the regular shit i need, multi meter, new jack, some more extensions and some swivvle tools, ratchet wrenches, screw drivers, i'd like some air tools but i dont think thats gonna happen.. but ya.. ima pick up all the lil shit i need to make my life easier.. i do almost everything the hard way.. not by choice tho :(

so im here sandin this flywheel.. first i hit it with some 120.. VERY LIGHTY!! just enough to scuff up the surfact an get rid of the blue crap from the old clutch.. then i hit it with 1000grit with the sander and also by hand.. its not like a perfectly shiney surface.. jus more like a un polished aluminum look.. to me it looks ok to others it may not. but the batterys in my cam or dead so i cant even take a pic...

cleaned it up a little more, uninstalled/installed pilot bushing.. BTW if possible find a way to use the soap/grease trick... cause tryin to chizzle that mother fucker outta there is a pain in the ass!!! i didnt have a tool that would fit good enough an my alignment tool is plastic.. go figure eh.. anyways clutch is installed.. next few days the tranny will be in..

A hardwood dowel will work with the grease to hydraulic that pilot bearing out....dia meter as large as will fit in the hole.

If your strapped for cash, as most of us have been at one time or another. just buy the tool or tools you need for the task at hand. And buy the best you can afford. Used tools, if quality and in good condition, can be a very affordable option. Eventually you will have a decent set of tools suitable for working on whatever you've got going at the time. The "damn, that would be nice to have" tools, can wait, or be rented as needed. Or borrowed from a fellow Ratsun member.

And please be very careful about double wrenching and pipe "cheaters"....a person can get seriously hurt using those techniques...especially with cheap, low quality tools. I've got over 40 (holy sheet) years of maintenance and repair experience, so I do know what I am talking about. Pain hurts, and usually costs more than it was worth to bypass safety....yes, I know that from experience also.

Crabbyone

thanks for the advice man! i know how the pain is i have hurt my self pleanty lol, however the only tools i have that i use for anything major are all craftsmen.. i know they can still be broken.. but atleast its not walmart brand..

with in the next few days, when i know my manager wont be unexpectedly dropping by for rent i will put the tranny in.. i think im going to jack up (put the drive shaft where it needs to be) and then black RTV the shit out of the carrier bearing rubbery thing.. pack it as tight as i can and let it sit for a few days.. i know its ghetto but i've heard of others here doin it and havin success.. if even for a short period of time its ok i jus dont wanna be drivin this thing with a sagging driveline with a blown out carrier bearing boot

OR should i take the carrier bearing bracket thing out an doit with the short shaft out???