My T-5 finally broke.

cg78

I have been in a battle with this thing since I received it. Last time out the 3-4 slider was replaced only to bind up and grind those gears one week after. Last night it decided that I do not need a third or fourth gear. I barely made it home the noise it was making was interesting. The question I have now is what tranny should I run, besides this mess? I really liked the ratio's of the t-5, so if I could find one similar I would be happy. My plan is to get an idea of what trans to get then hit the yards this weekend. I want to get my truck back on the road asap. Btw I did a search and I like the 280 wide 5 speed final drive, but I just want to be sure that I get some thing close to what I have now. Thanks in advance. Chris

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm hearing more and more bad things about the T5. A year ago my transmission just blew on me... well, something inside failed and the shifting was all messed up.

If you switch away from a T5 you have to deal with driveshaft changes.

Personally, I have one spare T5. I'll use it if i have to. After that I'm going with the NA 81-83 280ZX 5-speed. call it good

try and get another t-5 then, and you wont have to worry about drive shaft stuff either. the t-5 is kinda on its own. in the tranny you currently have, did the detent balls and springs get checked and properly installed??? it can cause simmilar problems

Not sure I had it looked at by a tranny guy.

FSD5W71'C' type with the front half of the case from an earlier 'B' L series, like a 280zx or a 620 truck. They are considered stronger than the T-5s that went into the 300zx.

Ty I will look into that. I may need a whole tranny though.

I'm hearing more and more bad things about the T5. A year ago my transmission just blew on me... well, something inside failed and the shifting was all messed up.

If you switch away from a T5 you have to deal with driveshaft changes.

Personally, I have one spare T5. I'll use it if i have to. After that I'm going with the NA 81-83 280ZX 5-speed. call it good

I did not change my drive line it fit tightly, but it did not bottom out. All I changed was the yolk, so I need to change that. I hope I saved it. As far as whole tranny's that were strong, what would you guys recommend? I have a a beefy LZ.

damnit that sucks big time man i remember you saying that you have had alot of issues with the t-5 but damn that sucks i like bleach's idea for a longtail out of a zx but datzenmike knows his stuff make a mutant tranny out of a 300zx and an l series could be fun:D let me know if you need a hand ill swing by and do what i can

T5 gets a bad rap. I have 1 in my Big turbo Z. I rebuilt it myself with a kit off epray. Ford tech don't ya know.

Biggest problem with the t5 I see is the shifter. It will alow you to overshift the syncros. A Pro 5.0 brand shifter will fix that. The only t5 shifter out there with All billet parts.

I like mine. Awesome gear ratios. And with the Pro 5.0 shifter missing a shift is not an option.

damnit that sucks big time man i remember you saying that you have had alot of issues with the t-5 but damn that sucks i like bleach's idea for a longtail out of a zx but datzenmike knows his stuff make a mutant tranny out of a 300zx and an l series could be fun:D let me know if you need a hand ill swing by and do what i can

I will ty. I do not have any trans parts lying around soI would need to buy two to make the hybrid.

T5 gets a bad rap. I have 1 in my Big turbo Z. I rebuilt it myself with a kit off epray. Ford tech don't ya know.

Biggest problem with the t5 I see is the shifter. It will alow you to overshift the syncros. A Pro 5.0 brand shifter will fix that. The only t5 shifter out there with All billet parts.

I like mine. Awesome gear ratios. And with the Pro 5.0 shifter missing a shift is not an option.

I have a pro 5.0 shifter. My problem was never with that is has to do with either the shifting forks, dog teeth, or the slider. I am going to fix it myself I just need a good ratio trans for the mean time.

The 300ZX never came with a T5. Nissan somewhat copied the T5 from the 280ZXT, that's whay the shifter plate liiks similar. Only the 82-83 cars came with a genuine Borg Warner T5, even says so on the tranny casing.

I did a LOT of research on what tranny to swap into my 81' 280ZXT, and ended up going with the T5 in the end. I used a Mustang shifter, and the feel is *awesome*. Notchy, and not sloppy like most other nissan boxes of the time.

If you swap out the T5, you'll need the driveshaft and I believe you'll also need the diff flange as well from an N/A car. The transmission crossmember is also different.

The 300ZX never came with a T5. Nissan somewhat copied the T5 from the 280ZXT, that's whay the shifter plate liiks similar. Only the 82-83 cars came with a genuine Borg Warner T5, even says so on the tranny casing.

I did a LOT of research on what tranny to swap into my 81' 280ZXT, and ended up going with the T5 in the end. I used a Mustang shifter, and the feel is *awesome*. Notchy, and not sloppy like most other nissan boxes of the time.

If you swap out the T5, you'll need the driveshaft and I believe you'll also need the diff flange as well from an N/A car. The transmission crossmember is also different.

I did not change any of those things other than a yolk, so all I need to swap back is a yolk. Btw this is in a 620. I am on my way to the yard now and I hope I find the later close ratio z trans.

Well I scored a 79 5spd wide ratio. I really wanted the close, but every car they came equipped was already gone. It seems to shift nice and the car looked to have a 130k miles on it, so we will see if I can get it in tomorrow and test it. Thanks for the help and the info on the faq page.

Ahh, ok. My bad. I assumed it was in a 280ZXT. For a 620 the normal 5 spd is fine.

Yeh, not sure what the designation is on the 300ZX 5speed, but it's definitely not a T5. The genuine T5 on the ZXT cars, when removed from the car, looks *totally* different than the other Nissan made 5 speeds. Looks way more like a "normal" American transmission. The only similarity is the shifter plate on the 300ZX.

Ahh, ok. My bad. I assumed it was in a 280ZXT. For a 620 the normal 5 spd is fine.

Yeh, not sure what the designation is on the 300ZX 5speed, but it's definitely not a T5. The genuine T5 on the ZXT cars, when removed from the car, looks *totally* different than the other Nissan made 5 speeds. Looks way more like a "normal" American transmission. The only similarity is the shifter plate on the 300ZX.

Actually, all Turbo 300zx's made from 84-86 came with the world class T-5. I know because I have owned enough of the suckers, lol. 87-89 turbos came with the much beefier and far superior FS5R30A's made by nissan. Peace.

The 280ZX non-turbo 5-speed can take 250 ft lbs easily. No mean 4-cyl L-series can break it.

LOL then we will find out shortly. With my old cam my engine builder said it should be close to 200 ftlbs that was a 280/480 now its 310/512, so it may be more.

Actually, all Turbo 300zx's made from 84-86 came with the world class T-5. I know because I have owned enough of the suckers, lol. 87-89 turbos came with the much beefier and far superior FS5R30A's made by nissan. Peace.

I am definitely going to talk to you then because after this motor dies I want to swap a vg30et. If you do not mind, I would like to get as much info as possible.

LOL then we will find out shortly. With my old cam my engine builder said it should be close to 200 ftlbs that was a 280/480 now its 310/512, so it may be more.

Bigger cams bring the power range to higher rpms.

but anyway, the stock L28 has roughly 170 foot pounds at the flywheel. You'll be good. People are starting to use those more and more on 300hp turbo L28s. :cool:

when that lz dies send it my way :D

You will be the first, but it may be a while.

Bigger cams bring the power range to higher rpms.

but anyway, the stock L28 has roughly 170 foot pounds at the flywheel. You'll be good. People are starting to use those more and more on 300hp turbo L28s. :cool:

Great it makes me feel better knowing I have some thing decent. I got it running by 8pm tonight I just have to work out shifter problems. Like why the c clip keeps popping off and I need shifter bushings bad. I am going to look for brass ones tomorrow I will post up if I find any thing. I also need a console. I am going back to the yard tomorrow to find a 80's truck console.