Eric's 69 521

curbcheck

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you have filtered fuel going into the fuel pump, no need to filter it again.   A fuel filter after the fuel pump is just another source for a fuel leak, in a part of the fuel system under pressure.

So a whole 3-4 psi of pressure and your wording about a leak? Yes it could but there is nothing wrong with a pre and post filter, I am running it on my truck with higher pressure and no leaks.

• Like 1

Yes, I know it is only 3 or 4 PSI.  I know many fuel injected vehicles, with in tank fuel pumps run much higher pressure, and that have a fuel filter between the pump and engine.

There is a really slim possibility an extra fuel filter between the pump and carb could leak.  But there is even less of a possibility that a hose, or a pipe, with one less object, and two more hose clamps will leak.

One of the engineers at GM, in the early days had a saying.

"Parts left off a new car design cost nothing, and create no service problems"

Generally, I have found a stock Datsun is the most reliable.  Datsun engineers did a pretty good job of putting parts on that are necessary, and omitting parts that are not.  I think one of the reasons we like our Datsuns is because of this simplicity.  Most of us have has to deal with "improvements" the previous owner did to the Datsuns we own, and have owned in the past.  I even have to deal with my "improvements" I made years ago, on 521 trucks I am working on now.

• Like 1

Looking good Koonas. If you have the chance cut and shorten the steering column. I did not do my truck yet because i am stupid but i have the had the bench and now I have Corbeau buckets and as I prefer the buckets the bench was just fine in there. Considering i am 5-10 305lbs right now, I am wide and just getting to be to tall for this little truck.

Looking good though just wheels and a drop makes the ugliest duckling look like a golden goose.

• Like 1

Looking good Koonas. If you have the chance cut and shorten the steering column. I did not do my truck yet because i am stupid but i have the had the bench and now I have Corbeau buckets and as I prefer the buckets the bench was just fine in there. Considering i am 5-10 305lbs right now, I am wide and just getting to be to tall for this little truck.

Looking good though just wheels and a drop makes the ugliest duckling look like a golden goose.

I'm going to have to research how to shorten the steering column, that will help a lot with seating. I have short legs and to reach the pedals the steering wheel is very close to my chest.
  • Like 2

ok. i have another question since i dont have another 521 to compare it to.  I can shift my trans but its very sloppy when its in gear ( lots of play from side to side) is it supposed be like that or is there some bushing that i can change? its so hard to find info on these trucks. its a J13 btw.

• Like 1

You can cut the steering shaft and the colum cover by about 3". The only problem is getting it out unless you know how to pull it out of the steering box worm gear and getting back in.

Do a search on here I think some one has posted a way to do it.

Tanker I cut mine 7" but I am running a 1980 720 column.

• Like 1

never mind, just figured out you can. im usually on my phone. now that i know i can search by topic title, ill be asking less stupid questions that have already been covered, lol. less posting more reading is the way i usually do it.

There is no such thing as a "Stupid Question."

anybody know where i can get these from. nissan part # 54216-14800 BOLT-ANCHOR. mine are all stripped out and bent. i tried to order some from a few places but they keep emailing me back saying sorry they are out of stock.

Are these what you are asking for, torsion bar adjustment bolts?

763.jpg

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...