few questions 'bout the steering knuckles and steering box

Eomund

I've been goin' hard on rebuilding the front suspension and steering. I've replaced most of the bushings and replaced the entire tie rod assembly. I've also replaced the struts, will be replacing the wheel bearings and lots more in the near future.

Just a few questions.

First is on the steering knuckled. They're just a touch loose and give a bit of vertical wobble. Not much, and not enough to eat tires. I would like to repair this eventually if I can. From the microfich I have, it looks like there's a 2 price set of sleaves that hold everything tight, but it's a bit hard to tell.

Has anyone repaired this? I'd love some pics with a bit of explanation if possible.

The other is the steering box. Imwant to change the fluid, but for the life of me I can't find what fluid to use. My FSM only says change the fluid but not what to use. Any input on this would be most appreciated.

Thanks!

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When I was looking for king pins for my 521 I had ran across those. I did some asking and I thought mklotz had said he researched and found out that the 521 and 620 sets were not interchangeable. I could be mistaken on that, maybe Mike can weigh in here if he sees this.

I dont see that he has any right now but this is the guy I bought mine from:

http://www.ebay.com/usr/holee138?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

Ive seen him pop up with a set every now and then. They worked great for me. Paid $33 and $34 for express shipping. Got em in right at 2 weeks.

Maybe send him an email and see if hes got any coming up.

Sometimes the parts on a 521, and a 620, especially the earlier 620 trucks are the same size, and will fit either truck.  The difference is 521 parts use SAE fasteners, the 620 parts use Metric fasteners.

A 521 rear wheel cylinder uses 5/16-24 nuts on studs to hold it to the backing plate.  The 620 truck uses M8-1.25 nuts on studs to hold it on the backing plate.  Not much of a problem there.  But if you put the 620 wheel cylinder on your 521, the flare nut fitting on the 521, 3/8-24 will not thread into the M10-1.0 threaded port for the brake line.

It would not surprise me if a 620 kingpin kit could be used on a 521.  The diameter of the pin itself may be slightly different, or it might have a slightly different length.  There are several shims used to take up space between the steering knuckle (spindle) and the "dogbone" that holds it.  You just select the shims to get the clearance correct, it does not matter if the shims are tenths of a MM, or thousandth of an inch. 

For what it is worth, the last kingpin kit I bought for a 521, I got at a Nissan dealer.  Many 521 parts are still available.  you just have to find a dealer willing to order the parts.

This page has 521 part numbers.

http://www.carpartsmanual.com/datsun520/Datsun520521Index.aspx