throttle cable.

Datsun620longbed

Okay so my 620 seems to really like to snap throttle cables I've gone through 2 now in the past 4 or 5 months. I was just wondering what you guys think could cause this I have the stock l20b with a weber carb not sure if that's the problem or if it's just crappy cables? The first time it snapped at the pedal and the second time it snapped at the throttle body. Just asking for advice and/or suggestions on how to fix this problem. Thanks.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The cable shouldn't break.

Where the inner cable leaves the sheath, it should be properly lined up with the lever on the carb and not pulling to the side.

If you have added springs to get the carb to return to idle there is something wrong. Too stiff will wear everything out.

The gas pedal lever should be lined up with the thicker sheath where it's bolted to the body. Again... if pulling to the side it will wear out. You should be able to bend the gas pedal rod to suit.

I have broken several cables myself, and even had to weld the pedal back onto the firewall once, my issue is a heavy foot, mine all seem to break at the carb where the small piece of metal is on the end of the wire, it seems to fray there, I am always able to remount the cable end somehow to get home, it's amazing how much shit I break on my Datsuns, but I always seem to be able to limp home, except that one time the dogleg went south, I could not even move, the input shaft was jammed solid, had to be flatbeded home that one and only time.

long as the cable has a smooth arch and flow to the carb it should last a long time.

I seen some Moron put almost a 90deg bend on them right at the carb. WTF!!!!!!!!!!

weber acrbs come with a cable holder thru hole bracket. On 521s and assume 620 you have to use it or cut a new  hole in the stock bracket (where cable and jam nut locates) as it will be off going to the carb pulley.