toolbox and ducky-chan chronicles

hobospyder

I thought it might come off that way.. but not really. Lots of action in here, perhaps not exclusively on the truck's build as of yet, but the story of it's new life is being documented.

I wasn't sure which is why I asked. I feel bad not actually working on the truck due to life but life takes precedence over the hobby vehicles sadly so I'm just trying to update minimum once a month so I don't forget about it.

And on that note, was going to head out to the shop today to get some wrenching done on the engine and try to start taking it apart to figure out if it's even worth it to rebuild but I decided to try to change the front brakes on my new daily vehicle that hasn't even made it to my house yet. Gave myself a nosebleed trying to undo the mounting bolts and gave up to come home and get my impact wrench and air compressor. Will try again tomorrow better equipped and Sunday I will be unloading little miss and taking parts off an engine.

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Prior obligations and my car breaking are hurting me on this check so I'm a little short for everything right now but I have an idea that make make it all work

ok so I'm sure this is a stupid question but

What the flying fuck was this idea of mine? I'm lost, I don't even remember making this post.

• Like 1

hobospyder don't sweat it about what or how much you post.  We all have life getting into our plans.  I have years into my 66 520 and over the last few years not much has gotten done on it.  But it is still safe in my garage for when I am able to get something done.  It is life!

• Like 2

hobospyder don't sweat it about what or how much you post. We all have life getting into our plans. I have years into my 66 520 and over the last few years not much has gotten done on it. But it is still safe in my garage for when I am able to get something done. It is life!

the only reason I sweat it is because I don't want to lose interest from lack of touching. I have issues with my attention span

I understand about attention span I have the same issue.  I start working on one thing and before I realize it i am working on something else.  It makes it hard to get anything finished.  Even if you do not have the money for some parts at the time make a list and check off what you have done and ad to the list as you go of new ideas and desires.  I laid out a list of what I wanted to do to my truck when I first bought it and I have found as time and work on it has progressed that the list of needed things to buy and do has changed as has the list of wanted things to buy and do.  I have 3 lists now needed, wanted, & the unknown.  The unknown is what i run into as I am working on the other 2 such as a part that is more worn out that previously thought or something gets misplaced or broken.  As my build has progressed My wants have changed. 

Part of this is because Mike Klotz makes another must have part or I find some part that I thought was obsolete.

Basically my $3000 build budget has been exhausted and so has the $5000 budget, but I keep trudging forward and have decided to just do it as it comes until I am happy with what I have accomplished.

You have a great little truck and it takes time to get it to the point that you want it.

I have decided that my 520 will never actually be completed as I will always be tweaking something on the build.  So my goal now is to get it drivable.  Drive it a little to work out some of the bugs while completing the body, paint, and interior.

• Like 1

Did not need to it was obvious that my fingers were flattened!!! LOL

But the measurement was so precise. :lol:

I've been lucky, my only digit removed was a toe and they sewed it back on and I only have a severed tendon in one of my fingers (two separate incidents). Thankfully, I think I've finally learned to  keep my personal space out of questionable places due to a couple heavy lessons. :rofl:

the only reason I sweat it is because I don't want to lose interest from lack of touching. I have issues with my attention span

The shop will help with that, now you have a place to stare at stuff and maybe turn a wrench from time to time while living life. :)

The measurement is of the finished thickness of the sheet metal after pressing.  It is a calibrated thickness.  That is how I can be so precise!  LOL  My fingers were crushed in the overlap area of the dies where the sheet metal does not cover.  I had both hands in the press removing a piece of sheet metal after pressing it when the other worker hit the buttons.  I managed to get my right hand clear. 

• Like 1

I understand about attention span I have the same issue. I start working on one thing and before I realize it i am working on something else. It makes it hard to get anything finished. Even if you do not have the money for some parts at the time make a list and check off what you have done and ad to the list as you go of new ideas and desires. I laid out a list of what I wanted to do to my truck when I first bought it and I have found as time and work on it has progressed that the list of needed things to buy and do has changed as has the list of wanted things to buy and do. I have 3 lists now needed, wanted, & the unknown. The unknown is what i run into as I am working on the other 2 such as a part that is more worn out that previously thought or something gets misplaced or broken. As my build has progressed My wants have changed.

Part of this is because Mike Klotz makes another must have part or I find some part that I thought was obsolete.

Basically my $3000 build budget has been exhausted and so has the $5000 budget, but I keep trudging forward and have decided to just do it as it comes until I am happy with what I have accomplished.

You have a great little truck and it takes time to get it to the point that you want it.

I have decided that my 520 will never actually be completed as I will always be tweaking something on the build. So my goal now is to get it drivable. Drive it a little to work out some of the bugs while completing the body, paint, and interior.

my yellow truck is the one that has blown the budget. I haven't even started collecting parts for this one yet. Yellow truck I think I'm upwards of 5k. Haven't kept track but wheels and tires were a grand and the brakes were another 2k. This truck I need to figure out what I want to do with and start down that road before I change my mind again. I know where the yellow one is going. Good to hear I'm not the only one that bounces around the garage though

The measurement is of the finished thickness of the sheet metal after pressing.  It is a calibrated thickness.  That is how I can be so precise!  LOL  My fingers were crushed in the overlap area of the dies where the sheet metal does not cover.  I had both hands in the press removing a piece of sheet metal after pressing it when the other worker hit the buttons.  I managed to get my right hand clear. 

I see, well at least you get to blame someone else. Mine were mostly my own damn fault.  :lol: 

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...

alright time for an update and oics

IMAG0355.jpg

test fitting new sticker, need new windshield first though

IMAG0357.jpg

IMAG0358.jpg

IMAG0361.jpg

^^^  start of the day

IMAG0362.jpg

removed grill, found this

IMAG0363.jpg

attempting to install the new grill i picked up from dr feltersnatch (thanks)

IMAG0364.jpg

took a step back and began looking at the bumper trying to figure out how to remove it

IMAG0365.jpg

changed out the turn signals first before i found out i have to remove the bumper. turn signal covers courtesy of denmarkboy (thanks)

IMAG0374.jpg

gave up attempting to remove bumper because the screws didn't want to give, started poking at little miss

not much for this one today, way too cold to really fight with him

• Like 1

alright time for an update and oics

IMAG0355.jpg

test fitting new sticker, need new windshield first though

IMAG0357.jpg

IMAG0358.jpg

IMAG0361.jpg

^^^  start of the day

IMAG0362.jpg

removed grill, found this

IMAG0363.jpg

attempting to install the new grill i picked up from dr feltersnatch (thanks)

IMAG0364.jpg

took a step back and began looking at the bumper trying to figure out how to remove it

IMAG0365.jpg

changed out the turn signals first before i found out i have to remove the bumper. turn signal covers courtesy of denmarkboy (thanks)

IMAG0374.jpg

gave up attempting to remove bumper because the screws didn't want to give, started poking at little miss

not much for this one today, way too cold to really fight with him

its wouldnt be so cold if you would take those flip flops off and strap on some winter gear ...lol . crazy ass 

Love the future of these trucks , we gotta to get your main squeeze dont so you can role it to canby , you got lots of time ! 

And whats that in you window ? future Washington Datslocos ? 

thanks again man for haulin those rims around for the canby truck , it was a larger donation than you know . 

• Like 1

I had socks and shoes in the car with me. And I wore socks and shoes today because it was so cold. And hopefully yes, future Washington datslocos, won't actually stick the sticker until I make it to a meet and have a good windshield to get it on.

Need to get the other ones gas tank back, ill have to poke at my friend

And you're welcome as is the canby truck and whoever wins it (still hoping that's me)

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

IMAG0753.jpg

qty 2 u67 heads for the motor i'm thinking i'm going to build. up next: Z22 crank, KA24 pistons. i know where to find pistons (unless they get used by owner), need to source crank

latest additions to the collection of parts for toolbox. been randomly collecting for this truck even if i ain't posting about it. i'll get around to grabbing pics for everything that i've bought. to the left of the upper head is a pair of side windows with the delux rubbers on them. 

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

pictures lost, toolbox album: http://s1261.photobucket.com/user/fantomhobo1/library/my%20datto/toolbox

seriously thinking i'm going to take the engine i purchased for toolbox and his tranny (five speed) and drop them into little miss when i get the engine done. keep the l16 and rebuild and put it off to the side, or the go-kart...... don't want to use/lose the l16 because it's numbers matching for little miss. just need money for the engine work, crank shaft and pistons/rings and what not. also a cherry picker is needed (will be purchased eventually). toolbox is back back burner and will eventually be worked on, really not sure when.

• Like 1