On loose head bolts and Ratsun help.

720inOlyWa

To all 720 NAPZ newbies: they aren’t kidding when they suggest that you check the torque values of your head bolts at every tune up. It only takes a few minutes, and it is a wise practice. I was not used to doing this during other vehicle tune-ups, but it is a necessity here.

When I rebuilt my 720 (head gasket, timing chain only) I knew the HG was blown and noticed that the head bolts were only at about 20 - 25 ft lbs. towards the rear of the head.  Fast forward to today and i have 1,000 miles on my rebuild. I decided it was high time to check those torque values again. the rear ones were at 45 ft.lbs. or so- down from the 52 called out in the service manual.

So I re-torqued each bolt, loosening it to zero, then torquing to 60ft.lbs, as suggested by datsunmike, among others.

I also had some vacuum advance issues, which new vacuum lines helped abate. But I was seeing two marks under my timing light and I posted about that. Cleaning up the rotor and terminals helped. Noticing that they had a ‘made in china’ call out, I ordered a OEM set. Should be here by Thursday.

The main thing was that I didn’t have a tach and I was setting the timing with the idle just high enough to begin advancing the timing, which moves the mark, of course. This, at about 875 rpms, can also give the illusion of twin marks.

Of course, one could block off the vacuum to the dizzy, as you are supposed to do, but if one is idling at 750-800rpm or so, it isn’t necessary. You get a great solid mark to set the timing to.

I also discovered that it makes a big difference to have the low speed idle mix adjusted well on your Weber carb before setting the timing. Once I got that sorted out, and the idle set correctly, the rest just fell into place. She runs and performs quite nicely now. I really dig this little NAPZ 2.4 motor!

The Ratsun forum has been an absolute godsend for me as I get my little 720 optimized. Many thanks to everyone who read and responded to my questions. I would have been far more frustrated along the way without your help!

One last thing, a question borne out of ignorance, really. Is the Ratsun phenomenon kind of a Pacific Northwest deal?  I get all kinds of waves and looks when I drive my bone stock 720 KC down the street here in Olympia. And twice, someone wanted to flat out buy it from me. Even the Japanese landscaping crew looks up from their work as I pass by. And a lot of the expert posters on here are from my neck of the woods too. Are there equally cool Datsun / Nissan events somewhere around here as well? Do all these cool PNW Ratsun guys and gals ever just hang out?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I get this also. but notice most are riding a bike. at the bus stop or at a street corner with a sign wanting money.

Or going north in a 4door  just south of hiway 18 on 167 about 10:30-11am last Saturday ...

:ninja:

Ok i didn't wave,, but i thought about it.

• Like 2