My z24 blow through update.

ITzDarcy

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What I've gathered to convert out z24 to electric fan. If you didn't know already. lol

Electric Fan upgrade/conversion:

1978 280z water pump

Late model d21 or early model Frontier KA24E pully

Water pump bolts- x4 6x1.00 approx. 18mm long, x1 6x1.00 80-90mm long, x4 6.100 10mm long hex style for cleaner looks

Loc-Tite for bolts

Hmm all I have so far from your list is the loctite. I also didn't think it would be that technical.

I was thinking I'd just have to remove the existing fan and install suitable electric fans with a bit of modification's.

Haha, As I say appreciate your input

You have a perfectly servicible mechanical fan already and no reason like "I am out of room between my radiator and engine block", so why not just add small electric fans in the lower left and right corners where they would give more bang for the buck and leave the current fan alone?

Agree. Plus you might have to upgrade that alternator to help power up the electric fans. 

If you want it to look clean then yeah it's a little technical but I've seen 'em cut off before.

But I'm still gonna do the swap regardless just cause I like it. lol

I like the idea of the small fans. Because I know its going to get a bit hotter in there I just wanted I bit more cooling.

I have the stock shroud, I still have to reinstall it.

Went and bought all the pieces for the turbo oil feed line today. Will be awesome to get it on and oil running through that turbo.

Combatting pre detonation is going to be very interesting.. .

Combatting pre detonation is going to be very interesting.. .

Deal with detonation before you have it rather than after. This is caused mostly by excess heat where you don't want it... the combustion chamber. Basically you are making a diesel engine that fires from compression and concentration of heat in the air.

Oil cooler... removes internal engine heat from hard to reach areas.

Large enough rad to prevent heat spikes during prolonged boost

Cold air intake. No sense running already warmed air from behind the rad.

Inter cooler. Removes heat from the compressed boosted air.

Alcohol/water injection. Absorbs heat in the air by evaporation

Does anyone think having a sufficient oil cooling system and rad will be enough to stop detonation?

As the oil cooler is alot cheaper than alcohol injection?

In reply to nissanboy85 I'll have to get the dimensions for you .. but its just a custom small intercooler no logo or brand.

Keith has his weber in a pressurized box. The weber has been extensively modified to flow more air.

Does anyone think having a sufficient oil cooling system and rad will be enough to stop detonation?
As the oil cooler is alot cheaper than alcohol injection?

It won't totally stop it but will go a long way to preventing/reducing it. Anything, even if a small thing, that reduces the heat in the combustion chamber helps.

Can I get some info on the intercooler? Basically dimensions, inlet/outlet size, if it came from something readily avaliable, etc.

the specs

-Core Size: 550x180x65 mm

-Overall size: 700x180x65 mm

- ID = 2"inlet and 2" outlet

- OD = 2.5 "

Idk if its good enough but hopefully it does the trick for me, its just a  jap custom off of ebay. Came in immaculate condition amazingly.

Like I said contack keith Law on the 510realm. he has worked this all out on a weber DGV with turbo

ok thanks man i'll contact him and get some info.

Keith has his weber in a pressurized box. The weber has been extensively modified to flow more air.

It won't totally stop it but will go a long way to preventing/reducing it. Anything, even if a small thing, that reduces the heat in the combustion chamber helps.

Ahh i was thinking i'd probably eventually may be forced to have it in a pressurized box and I need to learn a lot about carbys so I can tune it myself as the kits are fairly cheap. Ill keep looking around for successful hat top blow throughs.

Once I get this carb issue sussed out and out of the way. I won't put it on the road until I've done as much as possible to contain heat and install cooling systems.

Man I just moved 4 hours from the only place in western Australia that has e85 on pump. I'm going to have to settle for an oil cooler and alcohol/water injection.

So far I have planned:

Oil cooling system

Alcohol/water injection

Turbo blanket

Exhaust wrap

extra fans

Cold air intake

Any other precautions I can take .. maybe??