Cam Timing L20B

Andres131313

Lol. Stop defending yourself by saying you're a Chevy guy.

These are simple motors. Very easy.

If you can build a Chevy-there is no way you can't put an L together.

I've been rebuilding 2AZ-FE Toyota 4 cylinders at work lately. 1 a week for a few months now.

I have read nothing on how to do so. It's just nuts and bolts. Set to TDC before any disassembly-paint the shit out of everything for reference.

Sorry my questions have bothered you. I'm not going to post anymore.
  • Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't worry about negative comments from people, if I worried about that stuff, I would have killed myself a long time ago, I just read what is important in all the posts, and ignore the rest of it.

It's not that important to get things exact to the degree, I don't even count links anymore, I just eye the cam and put it together, it's started every time so far, and the one time I was off a link, and it still started, but I did not like how it looked when I ran it to TDC when I double checked every thing, so I moved it a tooth over the next day.

• Like 1

L16 will use the common 5 or 6 marks on the pulley.

later the L18s(imported crate motor that I seen) and the L20s will use a  1 mark on crank and the sawtooth timming plate.  can always pull the plug and ck the piston location.

one way to cheat is just open up the oil filler cap and when the cam lobe is in the 9 o clock position your coming up on the compression stroke then you will see the crank dimple come up close to TDC. wheile keeping the chain on the tight side you ck the cam sprocket timming marks.

However as we rebuild these motor the new adter market cam sprockets are not as good when it come to marking on them. melling Cloyes and others use a cam sprocket that have the holes in the wrong spot so you cant see the V in back of sprocket or don't have anything. Taiwan chains are ok but not brite linked mark. So to make sure one must gently put the front cover on and see using the crank if its timed.

be honest most time s the cam sprocket is Ok unless its sharp. the real things that need replaced is the slack side guide and tensioner. and even on the tensioners some fit better thank others.

the vid I mad is a general guidline(made just one nite no script) not prefect)

. Its up to you to get the best avail stuff and in dought we can still help.

as being a Chevy man never over torq alum motor parts!!!!!!!!!

The cam is hollow and oil is fed in through the cam towers and out the holes to lube the rocker/cam lobes contact area.

The dark patch or stain is where the rocker isn't contacting the cam. About 0.010" or 0.012" or you valve clearance. The rocker makes contact just after the cam lobe comes around rides on a cushion of oil.

• Like 1