How to beef up 620 motor

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The L20B is a strong little motor. Its plenty beefy right from the factory.

To get more HP fit a Weber 38 and a long-duration cam. Then rev it up while driving. It will make significantly more HP at 7000 rpm than at 5600 rpm. The stock red line is 7000, but it makes peak HP at 5600.

Headers and higher compression make only a very small difference. Going up to 10:1 compression will gain you about 5 HP.

Heys guys I recently got my 79 620 running and road ready, just going to replace all the front suspension.  After that what are different things I can change on the motor to give it a little more power?

Two things.

For $50 get a 4.375 third member from any other year of 620 other than your '79 and swap it in. This will give you increased acceleration across every gear and has ZERO affect on your emissions.

For a lot more get a new direst replacement 32/36 weber carb. It has everything needed, all the gaskets and adapter plate, air filter... everything needed. When emissions testing time comes around put your stock carb back on and call it good. (you did keep the old carb, right???)