Need Help with S U carbs

H20doctor

so these are my carbs that i want to throw on my 1975 datsun 610... they have been in a box for 12 years, i have called around to have them rebuilt and found the estimates from 900.00 and up... So here is my question.. Who do you know or recommend to rebuild them in the king , snohomish area ? OR do i just sell them and buy a weber 32/36 ...

[/url]20140624_155542 by sumthngsupnow, on Flickr">https://14316491680_77c276348c_z.jpg20140624_155542 by sumthngsupnow, on Flickr

code wont paste correctly ...

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Do they need a rebuild? The primary thing to check is if the throttle shafts wiggle. If they do, they let unmetered air in. Open them, clean them. Set the float levels, Buy some plastic floats (brass ones have a tendency to take on fuel and sink now that they are so old).

If you must rebuild them, only take them to Z therapy in Salem Oregon. http://www.ztherapy.com/

• Like 3

They don't usually need rebuilding.

New floats are sold by Nissan, or you can air-test the floats you have.

A rebuild kit is rarely needed for a cleaning. If the domes come off without tearing the gaskets, all is well. Don't disassemble the carbs just clean up, especially the fuel bowls and dome.

Those look like factory Datsun 510 SSS carbs. Twin Hitachi (su type).

With manifold and that nice air cleaner, maybe $350.

ouch I think i payed 5 to 600 from the guy in california for these , and i have the air filter horn things, i was told on the phone that these can go for around 1700 rebuilt ? Or the guy was on crack  

what about Dave Carrol ?  there is a guy up in arlington or stanwood that is a datsun mechanic , he owns a SSS 510 with a Fj motor in it ... i think his son is running the shop on his property ... but i can remember his name 

ouch I think i payed 5 to 600 from the guy in california for these , and i have the air filter horn things, i was told on the phone that these can go for around 1700 rebuilt ? Or the guy was on crack  

Crack ,

The link those guys gave you to Z therapy are $650. for basically brand new carbs,, they call them rebuilt but they replace and in the case of the throttle shafts, improve them. 

My son ( FAT510 in post up there^^ )  bought a pair of working SUs that are on his car right now for $120. bucks or something like that without air cleaners.

I didn't know anything about SUs but no matter how much research i/we did putting them on and fiddling with them, was way more informative than any info i have saved into my favorites.. You can dis-assemble almost every thing you will need to,,  even with them on engine.

Crack ,

The link those guys gave you to Z therapy are $650. for basically brand new carbs,, they call them rebuilt but they replace and in the case of the throttle shafts, improve them. 

My son ( FAT510 in post up there^^ )  bought a pair of working SUs that are on his car right now for $120. bucks or something like that without air cleaners.

I don't know anything about SUs but no matter how much research i/we did putting them on and fiddling with them was way more informative than any info i have saved into my favorites.. You can dis-assemble almost every thing you will need to,,  even with them on engine.

my only issue with these SU carbs is the syncing of them and getting them dialed in .... i run a weber on my 620 truck and its flawless when it comes to performance, it been on my truck now for like 10 years and still going strong ... 

I hear you ,, we replaced a perfect running Hitachi and my sons frustration level with getting those to not run rich and still have any power and what-not was at def-con 1 because it is his daily driver,, but eventually he has them getting better mileage and power than at first. If it isn't your main transpo i say get a can or two of carb cleaner and go for it.

(edit) Having said that ,,,

I bet my son knows exactly where the carb and manifold he took off is,  in my garage right this second, and that is saying something with that vortex of lost things.

i paid $100 for a good running set just a few weeks ago. i would throw them on and see how they run. these are very basic carbs and setting them is really easy. like stated above the only 2 issues these carbs seem to have is sunk floats and worn throttle shafts. 

read these

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/29133-su-carb-tuning-guide-l16-l18/

http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/2-write-ups-on-tuning-su-carbs.html