Dat Rat Ass -taillights on my mind-

curious - will tail lights from an 85 720 fit in a 1984 720??   Stuck in traffic omw home but trying to figure out if I can swap with or without modifications???

seems straight forward , but my buddy and I have been arguing about it - I WANNA BE RIGHT &  I DONT WANT A TICKET FOR FADED TAILS. And I like how the 85's look!

Thanks in advance for any info....... the quest continues for answers to stupid questions

:thumbup:  :poop:  :hyper:

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They are different part #'s between 84 and 85, but that is all the help I can give as I do not have the parts and/or trucks to compare.

The '84s have a separate reverse lamps mounted in the valance just below the tailgate or the rear bumper. The '85 and on have a clear section in the corner mounted tail light for the reverse lamps.

If the taillight assemblies will fit, you have to remember that the 84 and older taillights are wired for separate turn signals/brake lights, while the 85+ taillights are set up for the brake and turn signals to use the same bulb filament, to get the 85+ taillights to work properly in the 83/84 truck, you will need to use a trailer taillight converter to combine the turn signals/brake lights, basically you have to rewire everything except the running/park lights.

been away dealing with poop, but see the responses now and thanks to all!   I like the refinish idea, my tails are in good shape and that might work! but just in case ima order some new rears in case I screw up!

Wayno, you always have great info and thanks.... tru story, unfortunately the radius is too different between the 84 and 85's.... wiring wouldn't have been an issue I LOVE WIRING :frantics:

Subsequently ill be selling the 85 tail lights, among some other things im itemizing part numbers for, unfortunately that'll be a few days now since I have to make a list of items stolen when my house was broke into - yay me! lol

tweakers suck!!  :baby:

lust liked the way the lenses looked on the 85's!

Tendril, so is that 1000 grit and clear coat only??? sure do look shiny!!  

well i wet sanded them and washed them afterwards you could even do 800 than 1000 depending on how rough yours are, mine only needed the 1000 since they were just starting to fade/fog from sun, i spent about 10-15 mins. on each lens and just used some rattle can clear coat  :thumbup: