720 z22 rebuild oil pump issue

daegodog

We just finished our z22 rebuild and are getting ready to start it up but don't have any oil pumping up to the head so we are in a holding pattern until we figure it out. I primed it before install and aligned the punch mark but nothing seems to happen.

My questions begin with...

Is there a way to prime the oil system with everything installed?

Thanks in advance for any help.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I will do it again to be 100% sure but that is how I installed it. Oil does come out. The distributor turn counter clockwise.

I did install the pick up tube. Almost forgot too and caught it at the last second lol.

I was told that we might not be able to produce enough rpm without starting it but I don't want to do that without knowing if oil is pumping.

This is me

I just primed it with oil install per spec.

I poured oil over the cam and down the chain closed the valve cover and I had the fuel pump out and I hand primed the carb so the carb was full.(one can pour gas down the carb also)

Installed the fuel pump then I started it, It started right up and watched the oil pressure really close and it pretty much flowed in 10-20 secs.

But this is just me. Done 2 motors and no prplem

The distributor does turn correct? If it makes you feel better you can pull the pump, dizzy and the shaft that connects the 2 then re install the pump. Find a long flathead screwdriver and a socket that fits over the handle. Now find an attachment for your electric drill to connect the socket. Use your drill to turn the screwdriver. The screwdriver fits down in the dizzy hole into the pump. Or if you have a piece of round stock long enough heat it up and pound a flat on it and put that in your drill instead of the screwdriver setup.

Or do like said above and make sure it has plenty of oil/assembly lube and start it but watch it carefully. Did you fill the oil filter? If not do so.

Please forgive my ignorance here.... but are you saying to go ahead and start it but watch the oil pressure carefully?

I removed and re primed the pump. When I turn it over there seems to be some oil, very little, starting to build in the head.

To prime the system before I fire one up, I went out and bought one of those weed sprayers that you pump up. I removed the spray wand at the end of the hose and installed a brass barbed, threaded fitting to go in where the oil pressure sending unit goes. Dump 4 qts of oil in the sprayer, and pump it up! The oil will enter the system and disperse in all directions. Be sure to turn the engine over by hand about 1/2 turn for ever quart that goes in. This is the type of sprayer I'm talking about.

228814_lg.jpg

You don't have to worry about a dry startup. It's never failed me; there is oil throughout the entire system as soon as you hit the key. Guaranteed.

You are all talking about pre-lubing the engine. The Z22 oil pump is self-priming, so don't call it priming.

As mentioned by Hainz, lube assembly on new parts and oil over the rockers is all you need. If however you want to verify no blocked passages, then pre-lube the engine while you watch for oil flow.

Ok so we have finished it. Thank you all for all of your advice.

I did re prime the pump. I think I was expecting more oil but that did the trick.

Then we tried to fire it up. Found out the distributor was 180 off. Thanks to what all of you said about the pump that was easy to take care of.

Got it running then fine tune the timing. It is running like a bat out of hell now. We will take it easy for about 1000 miles for break in but right now it sounds and feels like a whole new truck.

Thanks again for all of the help.

• Like 1

Check valve lash 0.013". Check oil and water. Drive it! Don't baby it. Don't idle excessively or run at the same speed. Accelerate smartly through the gears. Take out on highway and floor it from 40-60 fifteen or twenty times and let slow down by itself.  If you want good sealing rings you have to force them against the cylinder walls HARD! Slow easy break ins allow blow by to form their own paths past the rings just like a river carves a channel. Rings need to grind themselves in fast and snug and then polish the walls and themselves for a nice tight seal..