EI dizzy and valve adjustment

DatSun620PU

Hey guys, 

been looking and I can find stuff on EI dizzys but not how much they cost, What should I expect for an average cost? have an l18. also what should i expect to pay for a valve adjustment? don't have the tools and currently id feel more comfortable having a mechanic do it. 

thanks 

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For the cost of a mechanic doing the adjustment you could easily buy the tools and a proper Nissan factory service manual and learn to do yourself. It's not rocket science and there is an excellent tutorial in the How To section of Ratsun. Buy tools as needed and become self sufficient.

PS the dizzy dont come with a mount and timming plate.

How you know yours are going to fit. may or may not depending on matchbox as they were 2 types. but can be made to work

read jason grays on olddatsuns.com

So you're telling me, if I buy a new EI dizzy designed for my 74 datsun 620 with an l18 it won't bolt right in? 

Valves be easy and shit.. Doesn't take too long.

PS, when you do the valves. make sure the motor is at operating temperature.  Make sure the motor is on TDC... you do four valves at a time, spin it to #4 position, and do the other four.

Clean the valve cover well where the gasket is, and also the area on the head where the valve cover gasket goes... And use a new rubber valve cover gasket... It'll keep your shit from leaking. Cork ones don't tend to hold up well once used and pulled apart. You don't need any rtv or sealant.

Get the valve cover bolts finger tight, all of them... Then use a socket wrench and do a half turn on each one. that should be tight enough... take it for a spin, then make sure they are still tight. Don't over tighten them... 

edit... No, you don't have to make one. You just have to make sure you have the right pedalstool.  you can get one off another motor with EI dizzy!  Or put up a wanted ad :)

Valves be easy and shit.. Doesn't take too long.

PS, when you do the valves. make sure the motor is at operating temperature.  Make sure the motor is on TDC... you do four valves at a time, spin it to #4 position, and do the other four.

Clean the valve cover well where the gasket is, and also the area on the head where the valve cover gasket goes... And use a new rubber valve cover gasket... It'll keep your shit from leaking. Cork ones don't tend to hold up well once used and pulled apart. You don't need any rtv or sealant.

Get the valve cover bolts finger tight, all of them... Then use a socket wrench and do a half turn on each one. that should be tight enough... take it for a spin, then make sure they are still tight. Don't over tighten them... 

edit... No, you don't have to make one. You just have to make sure you have the right pedalstool.  you can get one off another motor with EI dizzy!  Or put up a wanted ad :)

Ok, I'm going to my local pick n pull to pick up the pedastool on Friday. I'm not sure I've the truck even positively needs a valve adjustment. It has been fouling from too much gas so I believe it's carb and a new dizzy will fix the problem. 

if you goto the yard and pull a matchbox dizzy. Grab the pedalstool and the coil same time, take everything... 

Wiring it in is easy and we can help once we know what you got to work with. Wiring these things are easy enough my 7 year old knows how to :)

To much gas... Make sure your floats are working properly.  it could be pushing gas past and flooding the carb, make sure the air/fuel is set right.  If you go from points to electronic dizzy buy NGK plugs the same heat range as stock but gapped at .44.....

It's always a good to at least check/adjust the valves when you get a car. Tho it may seem right, and may be, you never know....  Who knows when the last time someone did them was.  From my experience... never it seems.. At least when buying a datsun from a yard/ditch or non datsun enthusiast.  only time valves seem to be adjusted is when I get it from a fellow datsunhead...