Warning regarding this ebay 521

thisismatt

If anyone might be watching this ebay 521, I wanted to give a warning about it.  You may not notice that the front end appears to have some major bondo work.  Notice how all the stainless trim (hood trim, eyebrow trim, lower grill trim) is missing with screw holes filled, and the seams between the fenders and the core support/valance have also been filled in.  I can't imagine anyone doing this unless they were bondoing other damage (notice all the cracking along the core support below the grill).  Just a heads up - I didn't notice it at first glance, but something looked off.  I would be concerned about what else might be hiding...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Datsun-Other-Base-1971-datsun-521-pick-up-truck-arizona-truck-first-registered-in-az-in-3-1971-/261480480306?forcerrptr=true&hash=item3ce1737e32&item=261480480306&pt=US_Cars_Trucks

$_57.JPG

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Seller: There is no body filler as far as trim some of it's missing and the fenders and valances have space. It's in good shape for the age. Certainly not perfect but lots better due to the dry arizona climate. 

Hi,

If no filler, how do you explain the missing seams/joints and the lack of screw holes where the missing trim should be?  Take a look at this picture if you don't know what I'm referring to. 

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTM2M1gxNjAw/z/q2cAAOxy7nNTSEkP/$_57.JPG

I own two 521s right now, but I'm always looking at others in case I find one in better condition.

-Matt

Seller:  I have put everything I know about this vehicle in the listing.  I do know that rust free vehicles that has 100k original miles and has never seen salty roads at 43 years of age' are few and far between

For a nice running rust-free Arizona pickup it is

There was some question about bodywork, but it is reportedly rust free

Here's my problem with it, and maybe I'm overreacting.  You decide.

The guy claims no rust, no major accidents, literally says "no bondo."  However, there is clearly something going on with the front end.  It's missing all the stainless trim (and no sign of the screw holes for attaching said trim), and even more telling is that the seams between the fenders and the core support/valance have been filled.  With what, who knows?  Maybe it's not bondo, maybe it's kitty hair, liquid nails, or tub & tile caulking.  Whatever it is, it's been worked on and the guy flat out denies that the world is round.  How can anyone believe the rest of his spiel if he can't even admit, never mind outright deny, that the front end has been worked on and things are not as they should be.  Ignorance is one thing, but I respectfully emailed him asking about these issues and he basically stuck his fingers in his ears and yelled blah blah blah, and not only didn't reflect this new revelation in his listing, he actually appended his listing to further tout "NO BONDO".  BS.  Whether $2200 is a good deal for the truck is pretty much irrelevant.  To me, this looks like a possibly better deal, but the pics aren't that grea: http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/cto/4467423781.html

Seller may be dishonest but he may honestly only know what he was told about it when he bought it. Sellers don't always know what they are selling. I bought a dogleg with the original 200sx crossmember/ mount still on it for $20 because the seller didn't know what he had and just wanted to clear out his garage..