Harmonic balancer wobble?

I just purchased my first Datsun, it is a 69 521. It is a very nice little truck and mostly original equipment. One thing I noticed is that the harmonic balancer (crank pulley) has a pretty good wobble to it. I am not quite sure if it is warped or if it was not installed correctly. Does anyone have in idea of what I can do to fix it? Or if there is any other pulleys that will fit it.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Others can answer better as to what fits what, but I have seen it where the woodruff key gets shoved out of its groove toward the back and then when they tighten it onto it, it's gets all wobbly. I am assuming you checked to see if it was tight?

• Like 1

Could be a broken crank. Take it off and inspect the snout and the balancer. That is the only way you will know for sure as I have seen folks mess up the lower pulley/balancer by jacking up their vehicle by placing the jack under it and jacking up the car!! .

And yes, an engine can run with a broken crank or even a cam.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info. I tried to un tighten the bolt with the truck in gear and the brakes applied and the truck just rolled backward as I turned the wrench. Any tricks to getting this thing off by myself?

I've actually had good luck just getting it to come off. IDK about your year, but every other year was lefty loosy like it should be. The long break bar works. There is a bit more room if you take the rad out, but I've always got it with them in. 

Also, a socket wrench and a l5b sledge does the trick.  They are on their pretty tight, but if you can bust it loose, its cake. 

Post below is the lulz

• Like 1

try it in 4th gear, brake on.

For loosening this is the better as 1st makes it easier to turn the rear wheels by gear reduction. I think it's a 26mm socket.

Better yet, get a long breaker bar and turn against the frame on the right or passenger side. Give the starter a quick bump to loosen.

I wouldn't call it a harmonic balancer as it's a solid pulley. The Z20, Z22 and Z24 I believe have a rubber isolator between the inner and outer parts. The KA definitely does.

• Like 1

I guess my dildo just isn't big enough, does anyone have one I could borrow? Thanks everyone for your help.

:rofl: :rofl:  Report back once you get it off there.  and impact would be awesome but I don't think there is enough room to get one in there even with the radiator out, too.  I wouldn't put something on the flywheel, just my preference.

• Like 1

You might be able to straighten it, but I would probably just plan on finding another. Your local junkyard would most likely be your best bet I think. A guy like Mike would be the right one to answer what (if any) other engines would have the same pulley. I'm a bit new to what fits what when it comes to Datsun.