Air Cleaner. Mine doesn't fit. Aftermarket ideas?

comply

I've got the stock air cleaner for my carb. It's a Hitachi carb off of an L20b but it's on my L16 powered 510. Anyway, there seems to be something missing from the neck of my air cleaner and it doesn't fit the neck of my carb. I can just set it on the carb but it rattles and I assume it lets quite a bit of unfiltered air slip by.

I went to Autozone and Checker to see if there were any aftermarket setups I could use. I ended up buying a filter assembly, then had to spend more money on the 3 1/16" adapter, then more on the bolts, and none of it fit. The neck on the carb seems to be around 3" but it still wouldnt fit over. They also have some 3" flexible pipe that I could attach to the carb then run to a cone filter but I dont want to risk it not fitting over the carb neck. The only idea friends/family could come up with was dryer tubing clamped over the neck then run to a cone filter and clamped. The same as the flex pipe but a bit more ratsun in style I suppose :P Downside to that is it looks a bit...yeah, and also it's 3" exactly and I dont think would fit over the 3" carb.

Anyone have some ideas?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got the stock air cleaner for my carb. It's a Hitachi carb off of an L20b but it's on my L16 powered 510. Anyway, there seems to be something missing from the neck of my air cleaner and it doesn't fit the neck of my carb. I can just set it on the carb but it rattles and I assume it lets quite a bit of unfiltered air slip by.

I went to Autozone and Checker to see if there were any aftermarket setups I could use. I ended up buying a filter assembly, then had to spend more money on the 3 1/16" adapter, then more on the bolts, and none of it fit. The neck on the carb seems to be around 3" but it still wouldnt fit over. They also have some 3" flexible pipe that I could attach to the carb then run to a cone filter but I dont want to risk it not fitting over the carb neck. The only idea friends/family could come up with was dryer tubing clamped over the neck then run to a cone filter and clamped. The same as the flex pipe but a bit more ratsun in style I suppose :P Downside to that is it looks a bit...yeah, and also it's 3" exactly and I dont think would fit over the 3" carb.

Anyone have some ideas?

Do you have intertest in running the factoy intake? If so it sounds like you're only missing the rubber boot that lines the inside flange where it slips over the top of the carb. I'm sure if you wanted people could suggest a place to buy this piece or someone may have an extra you could buy.

Do you have intertest in running the factoy intake? If so it sounds like you're only missing the rubber boot that lines the inside flange where it slips over the top of the carb. I'm sure if you wanted people could suggest a place to buy this piece or someone may have an extra you could buy.

If there is a prettier way of using that carb but running a different filter system, I'll do it. The stock air cleaner is horrid and has lots of hoses hanging off of it that aren't in use.

If you can get away with, disconnect the vacuum hoses, unless needed to run it, and change that carb to a 32/36 weber...theair filter looks even better.

I can't afford a Weber ATM. I used to have a side draft on it but I couldn't get the car to run right with it so I switched to this carb.

That aircleaner has 2 things to make it fit tight to the carb...First, it has a rubber boot for the carb tower, as stated previously. It ALSO has a big "wing nut" that allows you tighten the air cleaner down on the carb tight enough so it won't vibrate; this wing nut is NOT the one on the carb, but it is visible from the firewall side on the back of the air cleaner. If you are missing the rubber boot, I'm not sure you can use the tightener. If you DO have both of these components, try pushing the AC down on the carb, THEN turn that adjuster tight enough so the air cleaner won't move around.

it does an nice job because the lower half is the stock asembely:P but i have some pics that could help

airfliter2.jpg

this is what it sounds like your missing should be easy to make with the adapters they sell at kreagan ( you say you already bought one)

airfliter3.jpg

airfilter1.jpg

i hope it helps

• 1 month later...
that looks perity trick i might have to do the same

It pinches a little bit because of hood clearance, but not enough to restrict air flow or pinch enough to put any cracks in the tubing. Smooshes the intake pipe by like 1/2 inch.

Ended up being like $35 for the tube and filter from Auto Zone. and $.75 for the clamp from Lowe's

• 2 weeks later...