newb saying hello, looking for datsun

hey all, i was pointed this way from nissancustoms.com. I currently own a '94 nissan hardbody... it is my 8th mini...most of which where chevy s10s, all customized 100% by me, but now my nissan is just my weekend vehicle. (have work truck provided to me by my company) but out of no where, i have been consumed with wanting an older datsun project, preferably a 520 pickup, but a 521 would definetly be considered. unfortunatley it seems like most of the creampuffs that are posted on here are out in cali...most west of the rockies. sucks for me since im in charlotte, north carolina! oh well, im going to keep my eyes open and just wait. hopefully being patient will pay off in the end. i'll be doing a lot of browsing, searching, and asking im sure.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

welcome. just keep your ears open locally and nationally and ya knever can tell what you will find. i got my 620 off a freind of mine. he wasn't really planning on selling but wanted a bike so he sold it to me. so ya never know what you'll find. maybe someone on here has a project they dont want to finish or whatnot. never know. it could happen :D

the 520 has the j series engine in it. the 520's are hella hard to find. harder to find than the 320's. 521's are all around and 620's are a dime a dozen.

There's a member here selling his in CL Humboldt county (I think)

Very nice 520

There are plenty of 520521 in California

Very easy to find

yea, i would really like to get a 520, but a 521 would 'do'...until i could find a 520. haha, i have found some for decent prices but just didnt have the dime at the time. looking for something i can tinker with and re-do, mainly because i enjoy it, partly because cash flow is always a problem. who knows...i just my find that 520 sitting in grandpa's garage somewhere! if you guys here of anything near NC let me know...ive got my eyes glued to craigslist, i think i will find the deal im looking for there...im watching a 521 now on ebay in W. Va. but we'll see..

im willing to travel a little, but id like to drive back...mainly because i have no trailer or dolley! i just started looking so im going to try and stay close to home in the beginning, as the search wheres on im sure i'll be more open to driving farther, i am sure of this. :lol:

Welcome, from one newbie to another.

I looked for my 620 for two years, despite their "dime a dozen" status. Where I live people only purchased American until the ninties, so imports arent easy to find. Plus the truck I wanted had specific attributes that had to be present; basically no motor, clean body, cheap. I Finally found it.

If I can share any advice, if you havent already, set a max price and minimum requirements for the truck you're looking for, that way you dont overspend or buy a truck that needs too much work.

Laurence

im willing to travel a little, but id like to drive back...mainly because i have no trailer or dolley! i just started looking so im going to try and stay close to home in the beginning, as the search wheres on im sure i'll be more open to driving farther, i am sure of this. :lol:

If you do buy one and end up driving it home, here's a couple of tips:

1). go with someone

2). bring lots of tools

I know it may sound simple but a lot of people don't plan this out. A case in point, maybe 6 years ago I bought a 510 like 1 and 15 minutes from my house. The car ran good but when I got to the freeway, it started sputtering. So I took it back to the buyer and we drove it and it ran okay. Took off again and I say within 5 minutes aftr getting on the freeway, it started sputtering again. So luckliy, my friend and I were able to diagnose it and having an extra car it made things easier. Oh the problem wasthe coil...

ya my truck didnt run when i bought it.. (blown head and wires everywhere!!) the brakes didnt work at all.. i ruined the bumper that was on it by drilling holes in it to attatch a "tow bar".. that lasted about 2 blocks and the bolts on the bumper snapped and it bent the bumper in half, so my friend had an old big chevy front bumper with the ends cut off and the holes already drilled for the tow bar so he drilled a couple more holes in it an got some heavy duty bolts to stick in an he tugged it to my house while my other buddy road it it to steer it an use the ebrake if needed (cause that acutally worked).. they made it to my house but my bumper and mounting brackets were toast.. luckily my buddy had a spare 620 parts truck so i robbed the bumper an brakcets from it... point is.. be prepaird.. i bought my truck for $100 so to me it was worth it..