Thinking about getting a Roadster

Sierra

Hello everyone!

I am a long time Datsun owner (B210, and 620 truck) and a loyal Ratsuner.

I been thinking on getting myself a Roadster.

Any advice for a newbie?

Thinks I might look for? Year? Engine? Model? Body type?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

There are a couple here in San Diego for sale but I just dont know what to look for.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Roadsters are great little cars, whether the 1600 or the 2000. I had a '67 (low windshield) with a 1600 (R16) and 4-speed - the car was a lot of fun as it was. When I get another, I'll probably go with a taller windshield model ('68 through '70) because it will fit me a little better. I'll also probably stick with the 1600 engine - it's just fine powering the Roadster. I wouldn't have minded a 5-speed, but they are pretty pricey. The U20 engine is an overhead cam engine and components are generally very expensive. A timing kit alone for a U20 at least $1500 and I wouldn't be surprised if they were more by now. It's supposed to be a good engine as well and adds a bit of HP and torque, but I'd still go with a 1600 if I did it again.

The most sought after of the Roadster is the '67.5 2000, which there were I think 4-500 built. It was the first year of the 2L and has the low windshield. These can get very pricey. There are more '68 through '70 cars available generally, but they have a different dash setup that not everyone is fond of (more modern looking vs a flat dash with the earlier cars).

As far as what to look for, I'd start with this link to a buyers guide on the 311s website. The site is dedicated to all things Roadster and there is a ton of information there - no matter what your question, someone there will be able to answer it.

http://www.311s.org/pmwiki-311/pmwiki.php?n=TechSection.BuyersGuide

• Like 1

Roadsters are expensive to buy parts for, so get one that needs nothing, or very little, just pay the money, you will be ahead in the end.

If you like old school, get the 67 or older with the flat dash and low windshield, otherwise get the 68-70 padded dash with the high windshield, but either way I will repeat, parts are expensive for roadsters.

I have had both engines, for around town driving, you cannot ask for a better engine than the R16 and it's drive train, it is a great around town engine, but if your on the hiways and like zooming around corners on mountain roads going up or down hill, the U20 is the way to go, the R16 just doesn't have the oomph going up a hill after you get around that corner to get back up to speed quickly, your floored all the time, but I will admit, my roadster had a hangglider on top of it, and it was loaded with everything needed to fly and camp out.

People laughed at me with this glider on top of it, the car was very small compared to the glider.

1967%2520datsun%2520roadster.jpg

This was before all the chrome was finished, it was a daily driver hanggliding rig for years.

1967%2520datsun%2520roadster%2520003.jpg

Roadsters are expensive to buy parts for, so get one that needs nothing, or very little, just pay the money, you will be ahead in the end.

If you like old school, get the 67 or older with the flat dash and low windshield, otherwise get the 68-70 padded dash with the high windshield, but either way I will repeat, parts are expensive for roadsters.

I have had both engines, for around town driving, you cannot ask for a better engine than the R16 and it's drive train, it is a great around town engine, but if your on the hiways and like zooming around corners on mountain roads going up or down hill, the U20 is the way to go, the R16 just doesn't have the oomph going up a hill after you get around that corner to get back up to speed quickly, your floored all the time, but I will admit, my roadster had a hangglider on top of it, and it was loaded with everything needed to fly and camp out.

People laughed at me with this glider on top of it, the car was very small compared to the glider.

This was before all the chrome was finished, it was a daily driver hanggliding rig for years.

I absolutely loved taking my 1600 up over Stevens Pass and the North Cascades Highway - it pulled just great and I never felt like it was underpowered. I did have some issues driving down to Shasta for the Roadster show there, but that was from mechanical issues of basically my own doing more than anything else.

Ross1_zps4794545f.jpg

• Like 1

I absolutely loved taking my 1600 up over Stevens Pass and the North Cascades Highway - it pulled just great and I never felt like it was underpowered. I did have some issues driving down to Shasta for the Roadster show there, but that was from mechanical issues of basically my own doing more than anything else.

Ross1_zps4794545f.jpg

As I said, my roadster with a R16 had a hangglider on top of it, sometimes 2 of them, but I have driven it that way for thousands of miles, I have also driven it with a U20 loaded up also, the U20 is hands down the better hiway engine.

As I said, my roadster with a R16 had a hangglider on top of it, sometimes 2 of them, but I have driven it that way for thousands of miles, I have also driven it with a U20 loaded up also, the U20 is hands down the better hiway engine.

I wasn't disputing whether the U20 would be better on the highway but you'd said that most of your R16 experiences were with your hangglider/s strapped to the top - I was just saying that without the additional weight and drag, I didn't have any issues getting up over mountain passes or zipping along winding mountain roads. If anything, I'd find a 5-speed for the R16 but I think I'd still go with the 1600 if I had to do it again - it seems, at least to me, to have plenty of power for the Roadster.

I agree with hainz - find yourself a running, driving car and have some fun with it. Who knows how much you'd have to sink into that car to get it to the point where you can enjoy it. Something like that maybe would be a good winter project for someone with plenty of experience depending on damage, rust, what's missing (there are some pricey parts missing), etc. but not something for someone looking for their first one.

Hello everyone!

I am a long time Datsun owner (B210, and 620 truck) and a loyal Ratsuner.

I been thinking on getting myself a Roadster.

Any advice for a newbie?

Thinks I might look for? Year? Engine? Model? Body type?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

There are a couple here in San Diego for sale but I just dont know what to look for.

I am in the process of getting mine restored.  It is not cheap, but I am looking forward to having driveable by the Summer time.  There are a lot of resources in Southern California.

I got my 1600 to go a 100mph once, I had to go down a hill to do it, it will cruse 70pmh on flat ground with no issues, even 80mph, but you put it on a mountain road with curves and steep places, and your going to find yourself floored.

You will also find yourself running at 4000rpms in the 1600 with a 4 speed, and putting a 5 speed in it will not help much except on flat ground without a head wind, and you will have to give up one of your limbs for that 5 speed unless you have a buddy with an extra, or you some how have managed to score a diesel front case.