521 Replacement Radiator?

Coach K

Nothing to worry about really. Pretty much all new (probably all) cars and trucks come with aluminum radiators out of the factory. It's just the the original factory copper and brass ones are a lot better quality. Copper deals with heat better than aluminum, but, a lot of the aluminum rads make up for this by an improved design.

• Like 1
  • Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

521 trucks did not have an expansion tank.  The "normal" procedure was to maintain flluid level a little below the top of the filler neck, and when hot, coolant filled the space, and when cold, ther was space.

Making one is as simple as a different cap, and putting the overflow tube in a catch can.

I have hears of problems with electrolysis on aluminium radiators.  One solution to that is to NOT have electrical contact between the radiator core, and the body of the vehicle.  Many aluminium radiators use plastic end tanks, so the end tank can be mounted to the body of the car, and electrically isolate the aluminium core.

If you have a 521, my suggestion is to pay attention to local junkyards, and when a 521 shows up in one, you go as soon as possible and salvage a few parts it would be a good idea to have extras of.  Radiator? Windshield?  Taillights?  Front end parts?

No 620 will deff not fit.

Bottom outlet is different.

Not in my experience. All outlets were on the lower right... some came straight out and some were an elbow? Is this what you mean? The early 620 had a top rad hose on the far right through '74 necessitating a double bend top hose. Later rads moved over on the proper left side like the 510/521.

Did the original design have an over flow tank? I've been looking at as many pics I can find and mostly I'm seeing people making one but haven't seen a factory one.

'78 and up 620 had the coolant reserve tanks. As mentioned all you need is a '78 and up rad cap to make any container work. Coolant will automatically siphon back into the rad when it cools. The clip and the plastic tank could be retro fitted to almost any other earlier vehicle. Properly working you will not need to top up you rad again.

• 4 weeks later...

I picked up a champion radiator off ebay, and spaced out a small gap so it doesn't sit flush to the front support (I can fit a piece of cardboard if needed). the only issue I had initially is the "champion" they initially sent me was some american eagle knock off, and was a 2row instead of a 3 row I paid for. <This was remedied through a short ebay battle.> Anyway, the 3row the sent me fits fine like I said. all the holes lined up without an issue and hose ports matched without issue. I would suggest keeping your original radiator cap though. 

Well shit i agree, more oics!! I'm just hardly ever on the computer. It sucks using my phone to upload them photos.

how ever im on a computer now so i'll post a few.

this needs to be fix pretty soon, PO work i believe.

DSC_0144_zps799c19a1.jpg

this is how I decided to mount my champion radiator. I used these rubber washers just because i'm an odd fuck. No i figure trucks/cars move bounce/jerk what not and i didn't want the aluminum scratching my shit. Some other dumb reasons too. looks sweet! :D

DSC_0202_zpsb22d1d90.jpg

In this oic it may look like it touching but its not.

DSC_0203_zpse1f0cda1.jpg

This looks about how I mounted mine- rubber grommets as well! Never had an issue.